Using same database w/ mulitple styles.

• l337modder
  • Born
  • Born
  • l337modder
  • Loc: Saline, Michigan

Post 3+ Months Ago

My Friend and I want to use the same board on both of our sites. I was thinking in theory, that if i manualy configed the files to hook up to my data base, we could do this. What do you think....is it doable?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• _Leo_
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, depends on the board software. I used some boards asking for the URL of the site. I that case, as you can't put more that one URL in the configuration field, I gues it won't work.

If you don't have such setting in your forum, I guess it will work fine.

Can't you just use a single URL for the forum making it accesible from both sites?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

_Leo_ wrote:
Can't you just use a single URL for the forum making it accesible from both sites?

Seems more cost effective than cloning it :?
  • _Leo_
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

You will be able to share the administration cost too,
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

With phpbb it isn't possible. In theory, you could set up two different sites that share the same database provided they are both in different subdirectories on the same domain, but by sharing the same database, you can only have one default theme This will be the same for both.

It would be easier to set up one site with multiple themes and let users select which one they want to use. But for what it appears you are asking you cannot achieve those specific results with phpBB.
  • _Leo_
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

By making the forum a totally separated site, he won't need to worry about clonning nor sharing DB. Of course, the user experience is not the same as having a forum built-in the site they are visiting. But I think that doesn't compares to the pain of making such complex DB sharing.

The only problem I see is the users of the forum may convert them selves in "forum users" instead of "users of the site x with a forum inside". But I guess that happens with built-in forums anyway.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is a little on the radical side but, if you could find/write a php "middle man" hack to handle submissions from both sites and update two databases respectively, yet still have each site pull from there own db, maybe posible ? :scratchhead:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts