View Source Info...

• blackhat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • blackhat

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've read the previous threads about this topic, and wanted to make my own to ask a brief question..

A while back I came across a site and for fun decided to view the source, instead of the actual website content I got a message saying "Stealing is wrong," etc, etc.. I know it's not possible to FULLY hide my source, but this would be adequete for me, any assistance would be greatly appreciated if possible..

- Blackhat
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your question is unique, to the other posts that have addressed this topic, so hopefully someone will answer it directly, but without going to far off-topic, I have to ask not only you, but anyone else who has concerns about hiding their source code, "What's the Point?".

I am certain that quite a few of the designers around here could completely duplicate just about any standard HTML page they see without ever once looking at the source code. Even the one's that include javascripts. I never understood what's the issue with hiding the code. If it's written in HTML it's already been done, and probably could be redone a half dozen different ways. Same thing with javascript.

Now server-side programming languages are a different story. It's impossible to know what script is being used to generate the page.

I just don't see the point in wasting time trying to hide the source code, when it's irrellevent. Even if you think you've written something really unique -- you haven't.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I agree with you except on the javascript part... Usually I'd agree completely, but some guy has been going around the forums promoting source code theft and I disagree with that completely:

Quote:
go from website to website viewing and stealing their source

Anyways, the point I am trying to make (atleast I thought there was a point ...) is that javascript can be uniquely written like server-side, but since it is viewable to the public you will fall victom to theft, it just is going to happen if you have something that is "unique". No back to the point...well...basically what I am trying to say, it's because of people like that *points up...no pun intended* that people want to hide their source code. I agree that taking a look at code and learning from it is a good thing, and I also disagree with any form of source code cloaking, but I most of all abhor anyone who blatently states what they do...ok that wasn't much of a point.

hehehe take it how you wish!
  • blackhat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • blackhat

Post 3+ Months Ago

My point is simple, I've just wanted to try it out and see if I could break through it within a certain time. I love challenging myself.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'll never understand this subject. Why bother with trying to hide
anything when if you looked hard enough, you could get the code for
free anyway. kind of annoying really...
  • sartori
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sartori

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to know how to do it.. I want to know how to do it because I want to learn how to crack it. I want to be able to read any code I want ... Just because I can ... Just to make myself feel better and smarter!
Sart!
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

*thinks*

You could experiment and see how to do it...it might just help you learn better!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know the one thing that bugged me most about my customers when I used to work retail is that no one ever wanted to read the owner's manual. They always wanted someone to show them how it works or just fix it for them. Nobody ever wanted to do what was necessary or invest the time to learn it for themselves.

That's all I have to say.

Make whatever correlations you feel appropriate.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts