View Unread Posts vs. Posts Since Last visit (phpBB)

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

phpBB, as many of you know, is a pretty decent OSS forum script. But, one thing bugs me, and that's the "View Unread Posts" link by default in phpBB.

In reality, it doesn't do what it claims.

Let's say, for example, you go to a phpBB site, and there are 100 new posts. So, you read 6 of them. Then you go off to have your dinner, watch a TV show, something.

You come back, you load "View Unread Posts", and the other 94 posts have all disappeared. Once your "visit" is over, it marks anything you haven't read as read.

Here at Ozzu, I see BigWeb must've done some changes

(BigWeb, was this the hack you installed? - http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=158578)

If I'm out on a job, and I happen to stop by Ozzu to see what's going on, if there's 50 new posts, and I read 3 of them, when I come home, login, those remaining 47 posts are still marked as unread - along with any new threads that have been posted to.

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=158578

I'm guessing that hack right there does what I'm talking about above, but the description isn't really um.. descriptive enough, heh. I don't want to go messing around on a forum that has 2600 registered users, and a few thousand posts and risk taking the board down for a couple days trying to restore this if this hack doesn't do what I want.

Has anybody tried this hack? Or knows of one that definitely does keep the topics marked as unread between visits if they have in fact not been read?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Axe,

That is not the modification I am using. I am using the read tracking modification which works with the view unread posts part as well. You can find the read tracking mod here:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=86690

If you do try that other mod, please let me know how you like it. The major problem I have with this read tracking mod is how much space and resources it uses with MySQL.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for that BigWeb...

I'll try both of those hacks out on a demo site and see how they act, and let youknow how they compare to each other...

Yeah, I can understand that a hack like this would put a bit more of a strain on the database.. How often are you finding that you have to optimize the tables? Or have you just setup a cron job to do that automagically?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

About once a week I clear much of the read tracking and optimize the tables. If the tables get too big members usually start getting debugging errors because parts of the table start getting corrupt.
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahh so is that what went wrong the other day when I got the error while trying to clear unread posts?
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

yep
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

BigWeb, you say once a week you clear much of the read tracking...

What exactly does that involve? Presumably it's basically a case of emptying a table, or erasing all contents older than a certain date in a table?

If it's by date, what would you consider a reasonable timespam (for the user)? Messages within the last week? month?

Do you think it'd be worth setting up a daily cron job to perform the MySQL commands to nuke the unread post info older than a certain time period then automatically optimize?

Did you setup a script you can run each week? or do you do it manually each week through phpMyAdmin or something?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts