viruses, art or vandalism?

• ubernot
  • Born
  • Born
  • ubernot
  • Loc: england

Post 3+ Months Ago

im sick of people saying "oh, hackers sent me a virus! those commie bastards!" hackers dont send viruses vandals do where the skill in breaking something? the skill is creating the art, like the hammer or the virus but actually useing it destructivly is stupid. that sassar virus almost downed planes over here [england] and that could have killed someone. a smart person knows where the line between prank and dangerous is.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Sabu
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Sabu

Post 3+ Months Ago

You've been reading those hacker manifesto articles again, haven't you
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, by definition, anyone smart/talented/interested enough to actually write a virus is a hacker. Whether they are jerkwads (proferred reference omitted for the sake of the community...), or not, isn't the issue, and whether what they are doing is right or not isn't really the issue either.

That's not to say I support or respect virus writers. But the fact is, a hacker is, by definition, a talanted enthusiast. Our culture (both the geek sub-culture and hollywood) have made the term "hacker" mean something more than. Really, crackers, script-kiddies, virus-authors, etc are all really a sub-set of hackers. Some hackers are good people who enjoy messing around with computers and solving tech problems, others like to cause them, but regardless, they're all hackers.

.c
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hackers are people who have a lot of time to play with computers. :lol: They pry for holes in security and systems.
anybody can be a hacker i reckon.

Just don't get caught!
  • ubernot
  • Born
  • Born
  • ubernot
  • Loc: england

Post 3+ Months Ago

im often arguing with family members because i f'ed their computer or hackers wrote a virus that wiped off info, but really you cant judge a community on the actions of one member, which is why hackers receive such a bad name because of wankeres and vandals! <!---rant over--->
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Arg...
I don't work at a place where IT understanding abounds... CARE employs some 13,000+ people worldwide, most of them are experts at doing things like clearing mines, fighting Polio or HIV/AIDs, building municipal water system where none exit, eco-frendly farming, local economic development... but not IT. It an org full of very smart scientists, who's technical skills stops at turning their computer on, typing their grant proposals and check e-mail.

So, the other day, some [censored for sake of community] brings his laptop from home in (not a CARE issue, which are standarized and more or less updated) and guess what he doesn't have, has never had and has never done? Yeah... No virus scanner, no firewall, and no windows update. He had an out-of-the-box version of Windows 98SE. He knew it was running slowly, but didn't really know why, he just thought it was old.

Well, needless to say, that day, we found a couple copies of viruses on other laptops around because the virii on the innoculator laptop were doing the nasty all around the network looking for holes...

Anyway, it was a mess.

Virus writer's are terrible individuals who obviously hate the world and their fellow humans. I which they would all burn.

Sorry for the rant, but venting is good =]

.c

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts