Wampserver VS Zend Server

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which server is better? Wampserver 2.0 or Zend Server?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Define "better"?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and guess the Zend option is better in the long run what would I wish I would have used 10 years down the road sense of the word, but the WAMP option is probably better in the getting up and running now sense of the word.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zend is a production server; WAMP is a development server.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is the difference between production and development?
  • TopTraffic
  • TopTraffic.org
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I personally like more Wampserver .... I think it's more stable
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

TopTraffic wrote:
I personally like more Wampserver .... I think it's more stable

Based on what?

Bogey wrote:
What is the difference between production and development?

A development server is one you use locally to develop, test, and debug applications. A production server is what you deploy to when the site/app goes live.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright... but what is the main reason for that? Why is WAMP a development and ZEND a production? What features of ZEND make it a production server and WAMP a development server?

I'm mostly using it for development so I will go with WAMP, it's just that this is the first time I actually got into this thing and want to learn a bit more.
  • jazz
  • Born
  • Born
  • jazz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey,

"WAMP Server" and "Zend Server" are two completely different things. WAMP server is a combo that some guy put together and released as a windows "application". This combo is a pre-installed Apache, MySQL, and PHP set. You call a WAMP install an Apache, MySQL, and PHP combo running on Windows. You can install all these separately by hand but Wampserver makes it easy to manage them together by newbies(or when you don't have time to install/config all the others). It is usually used by developers to code and test locally but never used in production.

Zend server is NOT a replacemente for the above. In fact Zend server doesn't really "serve" anything. With Zend server you still need Apache to run PHP but the PHP version that Zend server runs comes with more goodies depending on which flavor of Zend server you are running. You could run Zend Server without MySQL, or Apache if you wanted to.

So WAMP -> Full set of Apache, MySQL, and PHP.
Zend Server -> something you "plug" into Apache or IIS to run a superset of the open source PHP with extra features (mainly for profiling and debugging).
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright. Thank. I understand that now.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

For development, I use Lighttpd. My apache ran 40000k memory and sometimes two instances. I was doing some php/excel work and my scripts kept running out of memory cause I was on an old windows xp machine. I re-coded my script over and over trying to reduce memory and I set php.ini configs but nothing worked. I uninstalled apache,php,mysql and found a win32 install of Lighttpd. It was all in dutch even though it said english, but I literally clicked what I thought to be "next/install" MAYBE 2 times. Then, in what seemed like a minute or less I had a htdocs folder with php/mysql configured and ready to go on my windows machine. I ran my original script with no problems. I then looked at my memory usage and Lighttpd was using one instance at 7000k. I've since not been able to find that .exe and when I left my last job I left it on that computer. Recently, I installed Lighttpd again on an old laptop of mine and I had to download php and mysql and unzip their folders into a directory and then edit my tpd config file and my php.ini but that didn't take long. This was just like 2 weeks ago and the WLMP homepage was down for days, but I JUST went and it's back up so YAY.

http://en.wlmp-project.net/

enjoy.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts