web-based php editor?

• MasterZ
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anybody know of a web-based program that I can use to modify php text files?

I don't need anything fancy, just want to be able to edit my php files from the web so that 2 people can work on the same project a lot easier than downloading the file every time we want to edit it.

If you don't know of a program, how hard is it to write something that lets you edit the entire contents of a file?

Thanks.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why not open the file remotely via FTP?

And FYI, having two people work on the same file simultaneously is not very wise, conflicts are almost inevitable.

For your other question, I don't think it would be too difficult to build an online text editor, many CMS' use them in the backend - check out the wordpress theme editor for a simple model, maybe there's something there you could use?
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Is there a reeason you don't want to use built-in editors such as, dependent upon your operating system - vim :?:

Cheers, Prime ... :D
  • MasterZ
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't want to have to download the file, it would be nice to leave the files on the server and both of us have access to them over a web interface. It would make things go a bit quicker.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

What makes you think a web interface would be any quicker?

A search for "text editor ftp" (or something, lost it now) returned this:

http://www.pspad.com/

haven't used it but looks good, and it's windows based, I'm assuming that's what you want, though you don't say.
  • gappon
  • Born
  • Born
  • gappon

Post 3+ Months Ago

MasterZ wrote:
Does anybody know of a web-based program that I can use to modify php text files?

I don't need anything fancy, just want to be able to edit my php files from the web so that 2 people can work on the same project a lot easier than downloading the file every time we want to edit it.

If you don't know of a program, how hard is it to write something that lets you edit the entire contents of a file?

Thanks.

Yup http://www.PHPanywhere.net is online php editor with syntax highlighting and a FTP brwser.

Check it out.

Cheers!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

This suggestion isn't browser-based, and requires being able to install applications of the server, but it's a great solution for the long term.

If you want to take the time to set it up, Subversion is well worth it when you have multiple people working on a site.

Google Code uses svn if you want to play around with it for a bit.
  • MasterZ
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, but Google Code also requires open source, which I love, but since I want to make money, I can't do :lol:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

no no no, I meant you could use Google code to see how Subversion works before looking into implementing it on your own server. :)
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hell, I use SVN for my own projects even when I'm the only one working on them. Nothing better than knowing that your work is versioned and backed up somewhere in case something bad happens.
  • adamjimenez
  • Born
  • Born
  • adamjimenez

Post 3+ Months Ago

ShiftEdit Web Based IDE
http://edit.shiftcreate. com/

Syntax highlighting, Integrated (S)FTP, Tabs, Find/Replace, Revision history + it's free.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts