web site / book suggestion?

• clarkedavid227
  • Born
  • Born
  • clarkedavid227

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the context of (asp dotnet, javascript) web development, does anyone know of a web site or book that uses an example application to demonstrate what programming features/technologies to use, and when to use them, to build that example application? i.e. rather than knowing how to code, it would demonstrate what to use and when, using that example application.

Something that guides a developer through the development of an example asp dotnet web application from design stage to finish, and explains the programming choices/decisions made along the way and why they suit that particular application.

That make sense?
Many thanks in advance!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

JavaScript

O'Reilly JavaScript
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the middle book on that page, the one that says: "JavaScript, The Definitive Guide". I don't think I have read through it all, have mainly used it for reference.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have that exact one as well and I'd say it's really good. I'm a beginner and I was able to understand it pretty good. I didn't read all the way through it, but it's really good at teaching JavaScript. I would highly recommend it.

I also have their "AJAX, The Definitive Guide" which is a good read as well if you want to tie it in with a programming language.
  • clarkedavid227
  • Born
  • Born
  • clarkedavid227

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks guys, appreciate it.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are many tutorials and examples around the ASP.NET MVC framework with plenty sample applications to help out. You can walk through the tutorial http://www.asp.net/mvc/tutorials

Then the knockout.js site has a really cool "sing along" tutorial to get you up and running fast and working with it.

As usual I would recommend rather learning about patterns and designs and once you understand those figure out how to implement them in the specific language you are planning on working in.

Oh, for your own sanity, stay afar away from WebForms.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts