<script language="JavaScript">
<!--

function SymError()
{
 return true;
}

window.onerror = SymError;

var SymRealWinOpen = window.open;

function SymWinOpen(url, name, attributes)
{
 return (new Object());
}

window.open = SymWinOpen;

//-->
</script>
  1. <script language="JavaScript">
  2. <!--
  3. function SymError()
  4. {
  5.  return true;
  6. }
  7. window.onerror = SymError;
  8. var SymRealWinOpen = window.open;
  9. function SymWinOpen(url, name, attributes)
  10. {
  11.  return (new Object());
  12. }
  13. window.open = SymWinOpen;
  14. //-->
  15. </script>

It appears in every page that I open on my computer. I first noticed it when I was looking over a page I was working on. I did a view source from IE but when I opened it in DW or notepad it was not there. Could it somehow be related to norton AV? I think that is when it started happening.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
JavaScript Errors about 'SymRealWinOpen'

If you're receiving popup dialogs reporting that 'SymRealWinOpen' is undefined, then somewhere down the line, you're experiencing the effects of Symantec's NIS (Norton Internet Security) Popup and Ad Blocking software. When this program sees a webpage contain key bits of HTML code, it substitutes in some dummy code to prevent ads and popups. If you're a webmaster working on code for a website, you might find that this code gets glued in for you, even though you don't want it to - meaning that when other surfers come across it, they'll see the frustrating JavaScript error. The trick seems to be to turn off Norton's Ad Blocking and popup stopper functionality (although this is a shame, as it has it's uses). Why Norton should decide to annoy webmasters by adding this extra code is anyone's guess, but I'm sure it's all very clever! If you're just surfing and see this error message, contact the webmaster of the site in question - they'll probably want to know that their ad stopper has messed with their code, and is creating errors.

Found it here near the bottom of the page:
http://www.filesaveas.com/solutions.html

:
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting. It only appears when I view source from IE, if I open the file it is not there. Does that make any sense to you?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know exactly how it's done. At work I use a more advanced version from the enterprise edition. Basically, symantec scans the requested page before the browser gets it. If it recognizes there is malicious code or the content of the page is on the filter list, it won't allow the page to be displayed and sends the browser code for an error message instead. What they are doing with the pop up blocking must be something similar. It's not changing the code itself, but "adding" to it in a similar fashion. At least that's my best guess.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts