What should i learn?

• Wurn
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Cape Town

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK I have an oppertunity to go on classes for my work i have to do.

Currently i only have a Web Design background with little Javascript and ASP code as background and HTML and CSS.

NOW for work i will have to have knowledge to be able to do the following.

1. Create/manage an Intranet
2. Be able to work with databases
3. Create e-Learning applications

What do you guys/gals suggest I get training for by looking at above 3 points. Ive been on a SQL Transact and programming in SQL course and MS Access course but did not help much to be honest. I know Dreamweaver/Flash/Photoshop well enough.

Honestly i dont want to learn languages that i might/or might not be needing. I'd like to know what is relavant now for what i want to achieve.

THank you
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

All of this is, of course, IMHO, b/c only you will really know what level you're comfortable with. You really have three very broad topics there, so you might wet your feet, but don't expect to master these things over night. Each of those are careers within themselves.

Intranet - Calls for a networking. I'm sure there are books dedicated specifically to intranet once you're past the basics.

Databases - Find out what DB (MS SQL? Oracle? MySQL?) and study specifically for it. Keep on top of the SQL, as well. A class is good for introduction, but once you hit complex queries (5-10+ joins), procs, triggers, linked servers, etc. you'll be in a new world.

e-Learning - Web design. If you want to stick with ASP, then you should concentrate on UI. If you can't make a learning application user-friendly, then you won't go far with it.

There's plenty enough content in what you're asking for to avoid delving into any specific languages. Lots of room to grow.
  • Wurn
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

THx Bro, to tell ya the truth im a pretty decent designer but for some warp reason i just cant grasp the coding side of things!

SO im a bit nervous with learning the code.

Would you say delving into MS Visual Studio 2008 is a good route to follow? or should Dreamweaver/flash/photoshop suffice for what im going to do?
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

you should be able to do everything you want with flash and some other server-side language. UPSGuy makes excellent points about your three areas.

I'd group intranet and databases together. If you get an old machine and install some linux distro and play around and read the tons of online docs you should be alright on learning networking and databases at the sametime. Plus, whichever server-side language you choose will determine which database you will use so you may want to decide what language works easiest with flash for you albeit PHP, ASP, or Coldfusion and which one of those languages you can find the most documentation on connecting to the database you want to use. I stick with free stuff because of better communities IMO(php/mysql/ubuntu, i did buy flash8 buts there's tons of online help for actionscript), but if you're getting classes paid for then you got alot more options to learn a wider variety that may not have good do-it-yourself resources.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Would you say delving into MS Visual Studio 2008 is a good route to follow? or should Dreamweaver/flash/photoshop suffice for what im going to do?

That depends on your commitment to ASP classic, I suppose. If you've done anything else with .Net, then you'll know the benefits, but if the IDE would be new to you, then you should probably hang back to the other apps.
  • cipher
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want to write code, I'd suggest learning programming in general (at the paradigm level). Of course you will have to learn the concepts in a particular language but the concepts are the important parts in themselves. After you fully understand a programming language you can pick up any other language in one day (provided you like reading). Read then practice in a REPL. The apply these principles to areas outside of programming.
  • Wurn
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

thx for all your input. Will now go and consolodate all my thoughts on what i will be using the most.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts