what is the best CMS php application online

• dhoyin
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • dhoyin
  • Loc: west africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

guyz,
i just want to have an overeview of what you all think. Which is the best CMS software online. i have checked out three which include : joomla,xoops and drupal but i think i like xoops. so what do you all think.
  • Smileone21
  • Smileone21

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, as i am the web developer, i know Joomla, eZ publish, Drupal, wordpress are the nice for ordinary development. If you go for the shopping cart then Magento and Prestashop are the best one.
  • softwarecompany
  • Born
  • Born
  • softwarecompany
  • Loc: singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

Drupal is great. And you know, it won the Overall category, collecting a first prize of $5,000 in Packt’s annual Open Source Content Management System (CMS) Award
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I personally have given up on PHP as a language. But I've worked with both Joomla and Drupal, and of the two, I prefer Drupal.

If I were to continue developing in PHP, I'd roll my own CMS using a framework such as CakePHP as I've done in the past.
  • dhoyin
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • dhoyin
  • Loc: west africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

@ spork, i would be glad if you can give us some reasons why u gave up PHP as a language and why would u want to create your own cms when there are so much around us already. So if u don't use php again, what now do you use. i would be glad to get your reply spork.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

dhoyin wrote:
@ spork, i would be glad if you can give us some reasons why u gave up PHP as a language and why would u want to create your own cms when there are so much around us already. So if u don't use php again, what now do you use. i would be glad to get your reply spork.

I should begin by mentioning that I'm moving away from web development all together for a while. There are other languages, technologies, and application domains that I'm interested in and want to take some time to get into, so web dev is being put on hold indefinitely.

I'm no longer using PHP because the language proves to be increasingly frustrating. There's a lack of any real conventions guiding the evolution of the language; features and "improvements" are often added with no regard to consistency with the rest of the language. It has fallen significantly behind some of the newer scripting languages that take into account some of the commonly needed features developers require. List manipulation, tuples, lambda expressions, just to name a few. The syntax is sloppy at best, and I'm a big fan of languages for which the syntax actually makes the code more readable, more understandable, rather than getting in the way of the programmer.

The reason I tend to stay away from complete PHP CMS solutions is because many of the customers for whom I have developed web sites/applications have had very specific, unique needs that an out-of-the-box CMS just couldn't provide. It made much more sense to leverage an existing framework such as CakePHP to build their system to be completely tailored to their needs rather than trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by searching for a CMS that was "close enough", then figuring out how to properly develop custom modules for it that I'd likely be unable to reuse for any other customer.

But you have to remember: languages, frameworks, CMS foundations, these are all just tools. You select the right set of tools for the job at hand. Could there be times where deploying a Joomla setup with a few extra modules would be the best solution? Absolutely. There's no blanket statement arguing one over the other that's going to be correct.

Were I to get back into web development again, I'd probably stick with Python or Ruby. Both provide a rich, modern language and have plenty of community support and development frameworks backing them up.

Hope that helps :)
  • nice123
  • nice123

Post 3+ Months Ago

I prefer Joomla. It is more stable than Drupal and has less bugs.
  • Muhamann
  • Born
  • Born
  • Muhamann

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have lots of experience with this CMS system: (addiction here at Google for "Server Spot") Can I just say: perfect, of everything. And the best part: This is a perfect online directly integrated, and you can make quite normal pages themselves! But quietly testing erstmal free and without obligation (top right on "without Obligation") ... then you do not buy a pig in a poke!

Regards, Steve

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts