What to do when you need a forum solution but...

• davenewt
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys,

In developing a company intranet, I would like to implement some kind of forum script like phpBB to allow several HTML-unsavvy people to post news items in their respective sections of the site once it's running. Using all the power of phpBB - or similar - for a simple 'news feed' kinda setup.

However... the guys responsible for the server on which the site will be hosted have just informed me that PHP and ASP etc are not supported. :x One of the reasons given for this lack of scripting support was cost, but I get the impression they're just giving me the easy 'brush-off' answer.

So, I'd like to know if there's ANY way I can put forums on a site without such scripting being available on the server. I'm guessing it's a lost cause?

Also, how difficult (and expensive) is it, from a server-maintainer's point of view, to install and maintain PHP and whatever else is needed for phpBB forums... is SQL necessary for this sort of thing too?

Seems a bit lame that I can't do *anything* interactive on the server... would make things so much nicer/easier if I could. All I want is a simple web-maintainable news feed... :(

Any suggestions folks?

Thanks,
Dave.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

You won't be able to do anything interactive without some sort of server side scripting. PHP Requires minimal upkeep, mySQL just requires the database to be set up (as far as I know). I'd recommend talking nicely and *cough* making them put it on their servers.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

davenewt wrote:
...just informed me that PHP and ASP etc are not supported. :x One of the reasons given for this lack of scripting support was cost...

maybe you should ask them why the company can't afford PHP and MySQL, which are completely free. Preferably you should ask them in a populated place at work. And then, when they get all embarrased cos they havn't got an answer, get everyone at work to stop whatever they are doing, point and laugh at them. Lots. :D Thats what I'd do.

Aditional notes:
PHP will run on both linux and Windows so they can't use that excuse
The PHP bulletin boards are also free software.
You can get various applications that will set everthing up for you if you don't know how (or don't have the time or will to learn)

Basically they cannot be arsed to install and configure PHP. There is no excuse other than laziness (or they don't know how)

Good luck with getting it sorted :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check to see if the host supports Perl CGI scripts. (I'm not aware of many that don't). If they do, I know of a decent (but basic) script that may work for you. The only problem is the site is coming up dead links for me right now. I'm looking into finding out what's up with that right now. If they still exist, I'll add the links later.
  • Scorpius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Scorpion Hole

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, back to installing the scripting, PHP is pretty easy to install, I've done it a whole lot of times, and I've only ran into a few problems that were easily fixed. As for MySQL, that was a little harder, mainly just setting up the initial user priveleges, but after that it was pretty simple, especially with PHP installed, you can use phpMyAdmin, which is a database administrative script. Hope that will help you convince them to do this for you. PHP has many advantages, as well does MySQL.
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

if installing those isnt an option, you could also try a little app i had been playing with. (before i got into the php ones ;-)) http://www.aspapp.com

they have a portal and intranet app, that work very well and done in asp so you only need iis on the server to run. they have free versions which has the forum component too.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. The site is finally back up. The script is a Perl CGI script and should work on most hosts.

http://poeticpollution.net/scripts/9Volt/

Here is a working example:
http://www.stevestechresource.com/str/ (there is also the forum at poetic pollution which uses the same script).

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts