What will be of more use, more Javascript or Jquery?

• WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was thinking about this and should I focus and learn more about Javascript and become somewhat good at that or if I should just learn Jquery (like some seems to do with great results)?

I have read some about Jquery and it seems like many are using it to create stuff fast. But I also like the Javascript syntax and I read somewhere that Jquery developers benefit from a good knowledge of JavaScript.

Anyway what do you recommended?

And what do you think would be of more use to study? (feel free to share personal experiences with the "languages" too!)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't believe you can truly use a library effectively if you don't have a good grasp on the language itself.
  • WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
I don't believe you can truly use a library effectively if you don't have a good grasp on the language itself.

Very convincing actually, I guess I will be learning more JavaScript unless/until someone comes with a very good argument for Jquery! 8)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

A good example of why knowing the core JavaScript language is useful even if you plan to use jQuery extensively is this example:

programming-forum/waiting-for-animation-finish-with-jquery-t106135.html

While I used jQuery, I also used JavaScript code that had nothing to do with the jQuery framework. Like Spork already mentioned, the library / framework is there to assist you, but in the end its all JavaScript anyway and knowing how to use it will allow you to find solutions to problems easier.
  • WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
A good example of why knowing the core JavaScript language is useful even if you plan to use jQuery extensively is this example:

programming-forum/waiting-for-animation-finish-with-jquery-t106135.html

While I used jQuery, I also used JavaScript code that had nothing to do with the jQuery framework. Like Spork already mentioned, the library / framework is there to assist you, but in the end its all JavaScript anyway and knowing how to use it will allow you to find solutions to problems easier.

I see. JavaScript is a essential/good thing to know first before trying to tackle a library and to get the most out of such libraries.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with spork... jQuery IS JavaScript.

spork wrote:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts