What is your Favorite Documentation Site?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

For me it's a tie between the documentation sites at php.net and apache.org; Both sites provide documentation in what I would call a sort of dictionary format which is easy to look up individual items on, and is able to be well indexed by search engines.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't really given much thought into that, but I do know that both php.net and apache.org I do visit quite a bit when working on projects. I will use php.net to look up functions and remember the correct syntax to use, and then I will use apache.org usually when working on mod_rewrite stuff in .htaccess files to remind me how to do certain URL rewriting, or figuring out new ways to do things. Just a few days ago I was using the Apache docs to figure out how to test for a particular referrer and then make URL rewriting decisions based on that.

Anyway I do find myself ending up at wikipedia every now and then too which sometimes have documentation on how to do things.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd never really given it any thought either until the other day when trying to answer a question about mod_gzip, which isn't a standard Apache module with apache.org hosted documentation, but rather it's hosted on Sourceforge and I still haven't found a simple index of available configuration directives.

You know now that you mention it, I find myself ending up at Wikipedia less often than I used to lately. I don't know whether it's my search style that has changed or what. :scratchhead:
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Definitely php.net for me. And that sandbox in w3schools for JavaScript, but that's not documentation.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I enjoyed using the Flex 3 API docs back when I was doing Flex development. They're similar in style to Javadoc, but many pages include a working demo at the bottom, complete with source code. Very handy.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've always had a tough time with Flex/Flash documentation sites for some reason. I don't think I'd ever have been able to find anything around those sites had it not been for Google. I do agree though, once I did find what I was looking for the actual documentation page was nice.
  • seglob111
  • Born
  • Born
  • seglob111

Post 3+ Months Ago

I always prefer the Microsoft Project Server 2010 for the documentation,it very reliable to use.
  • nuesha

Post 3+ Months Ago

i used documentation sites at php(dot)net when i work javascript.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

My personal favourite? http://www.ietf.org/rfc.html

Legend ...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts