What's your IDE of choice?

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just listened to a 10 minute rant from a coworker where he expressed his disdain for our IDE in the office...(ok, it may not be the dev's choice, but someone with power thought it a good idea!)

What's your IDE of choice? Can vary with langs, of course.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

SVN and Gedit.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's ur unix/linux distro flavor of choice joebert?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's myEclipse? I certainly hope he/she isn't talking about Eclipse, because Eclipse is a fantastic IDE. I prefer it for any Java, PHP, and Python work.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
What's ur unix/linux distro flavor of choice joebert?

Not sure yet.
I've got a few Ubuntu systems at the moment and I'm still looking around for an OS to try out on a 2.4 ghz or so Compaq I've got sitting in the corner. Daemonguy has FreeBSD sitting on the back of my mind, but I'm taking my time while looking around. :)
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
...I certainly hope he/she isn't talking about Eclipse...

nah, it's a specialized flavor - http://www.myeclipseide.com

We're primarily a Java shop, so they picked this up. I prefer Eclipse by itself, as the customizations can bork the core code sometimes and the syntax highlighting always misbehaves, but it has advantages, too.

Quote:
Not sure yet.

I'm an Ubuntu kinda guy myself. It's usually on my main comp, but I just got this machine in from Dell about a month ago with Vista, and I hadn't tried it out yet, so I'm giving it a go. As for Ubuntu, I like having the GUI for the wife and I can deal with the constant updates. At work tho, we keep it Debian.
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

For web development I hate IDEs. It just feels better to do it all manually - the only thing to like is syntax highlighting and auto-indentation (2 spaces for the win).
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bozebo, do you do work by yourself or are you on a team? One of the strongest benefits of our IDE is dealing with repositories IMO. Conflicts and synchronizations handled in a snap.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bozebo wrote:
For web development I hate IDEs. It just feels better to do it all manually - the only thing to like is syntax highlighting and auto-indentation (2 spaces for the win).

You're still "doing it manually" with an IDE. The IDE just provides better project management.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

IMO Eclipse is too much crap thrown into one heap. You'd think for the headache it gives me & my buddies it would be as configurable as it looks and would perform better. Feature creep heaven.

I've never used it on a team, only used whatever I felt like using with version control separately, but I've worked on a team with people that used it. For web development it would just be totally overdoing it unless you're doing something marginally insane. Some guys at the office use it, but usually not as their main editor. A lot of college professors I've had favor it, so I have it on my laptop though.

I hate auto-indent with passion, my editor lets me control everything down to the spaces of the tabs and what makes them up.

Simple is where it's at. Like Gedit & I love Crimson Editor... cept usually you're stuck on a nix machine with nano and vi.

Why did I just type this rant? No clue, sorry.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
it would just be totally overdoing it unless you're doing something marginally insane

Is there any other way? ;)

java, struts(w/extensive custom taglibs), dojo, jquery, hibernate, freemarker, jUnit, ant build scripts, and a plethora of other tools here and there, I think we may just classify as that.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've really started to like Aptana supports just about every OS/language and its hard to argue the price... It will also work as a front end for eclipse.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I only use Notepad++, it has custom highlighting, auto-indent, let's me control how tabs are (I make it 4 spaces rather then 1 tab) and many more features...
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
I only use Notepad++, it has custom highlighting, auto-indent, let's me control how tabs are (I make it 4 spaces rather then 1 tab) and many more features...

exactly ^_^ except I use notepad 2, I used notepad++ for a while but I cant remember what made me stop.

And well, I only make relatively simple sites on my own, or with one or two others involved
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Quote:
it would just be totally overdoing it unless you're doing something marginally insane

Is there any other way? ;)

Very True.
  • effim
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Typically we use Coda here, but I think the Zend IDE has got some really nice features to it that Coda leaves out. We're primarily dealing with PHP here, if those two didn't totally give it away. ;)

I was never a big fan of Eclipse. It's a mess of an interface, and we're really sticklers for user interfaces here.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts