Where can I find PHP tutorials and resources?

• Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey ya all do any of you knows about a cite with good PHP tutorials. Like something from the biggining. Thanks ya all. 8)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Soy Cubano, no puedo ser diferent!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didnt find much, I hope this helps

http://www.cfxweb.net/modules.php?name= ... le&sid=160

PS. there are more links to another pages, they might be uselful
  • Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

aight thanks bro.
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here goes some more I find.

http://www.google.com.ar/search?hl=es&i ... rs&spell=1
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

anytime

what are bothers for? 8)
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

PHP Freaks is a good site for tutorials and there are 16 free chapters of A Programmer's Introduction to PHP 4.0 available in pdf form at the publishers site.
  • thevirus
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • thevirus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi after reading php tutorial at w3schools I dont know were to go to learn more php I tried to read a php book but it went over my head. I only have a high school education and I learn slowly. But I want to be able to create unique scripts to bring visitors to my forum.
  • xxviii
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • xxviii
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am currently learning PHP as well. I think that the PHP book by the learn visually people is actually a great way to get started. It will all go over your head until you read it a million times and see real world examples though. Also, if you can find an easy programming language like Flash Actionscript or Proce55ing to learn, you'll realize that a lot of what you learned carries over and stuff will be a lot more logical. Also, try going to sites that have like PHP snippets and tutorials, such as http://www.spoono.com
Good luck to ya, I know it's hard.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.php.net

Read the documentation there. The way I learned was to say "hrmm that would be something cool I could do in php" then I would go to that site, and look for the functions/control statements/etc. that I'd need.
  • Crimson_King

Post 3+ Months Ago

all-webmaster looking for help on another forum to code it.

i think thats gold.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

All thats gold doesn't glitter...or something like that ;)
  • Lieven
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Belgium

Post 3+ Months Ago

Once you have some basic PHP understanding, I would recommend downloading some easy scripts at http://www.hotscripts.com like basic guestbooks and find out what every line of code does with some help of the php.net documentation
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

The way I learned PHP was to sign up on the PostNuke team. Back in April '02, I downloaded PostNuke, installed it & started to play with it.

As I already had a pretty good knowledge of Linux, Apache, etc. I decided to give a lil back and help out on the support team. Many of the developers were also helping out on support, and they were happy to answer my pleas for help when it came to PHP.

So, a good way to learn can simply be to learn by example. Download a script, change little bits of it and see how the program reacts. When you see a new function for the first time, just load it up

http://www.php.net/<insert function name here>

To get exactly what it is, how it works, and examples of its use.

Or, try to help out on an existing OpenSource PHP project.
  • Crimson_King

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am against people's first language being PHP.
i say go a full blown strongly typed language like JAVA or one of the C's.

All the code i have ever seen for people that start PHP looks like *plum*, runs like *plum*, and is documented like *plum*.

Plus, it'll be *way* harder to go from php to C++ then from C++ to php.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is your own personal opinion and I respect that, but I have created zillions of great programs in PHP and they all run perfectly fine. If you aren't into writing nonweb based apps then PHP is perfect, and if you can't realize that each programming/script/mark-up language is different then you should only stick to one, because no matter how hard you try, if you think everything will work the same, it *will* be hard.

And please watch your language.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Every time you read a tech book, it will make more sense. Its like watching a movie several times to pick up on the subtle plots and details. Nobody was born knowing how to program...

You mentioned you intend to use creating scripting to attract users. Considering the time it takes to be proficient at a new language (especially if it is your first), this goal may be too high. Seriously, a good programmer would be a challenged! Try a script archive to suit your immediate needs, and learn PHP at a less challenging pace. The phpBB script that powers this forum, for example, would be a good starting point.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get the PHP Cookbook. I forget who made it--probably O'Reilly or New Riders, but it's good. It'll show you how to get started with guestbooks and whatnot and push your towards more advanced scripts. I also recommend "PHP Functions: Essential Reference" by New Riders, but don't buy it until you know a little about the language. It'll come in handy down the road, but first just get a few thick PHP Books and read the first few chapters a few times.

Guestbooks are probably the easiest scripts to write. Make one.
Form Email is easy too, so try that next.

After that, start your website and try to think of ways to simplify things. This is where your PHP code will do the most for you. Automate.

After you get the hang of it, get a mySQL book or two. Dive into this. Using PHP and mySQL together will give you an enormous amount of power and flexibility.

For books, anything published by New Riders or O'Reilly is worth reading. Get a yellow highlighter pen and mark the heck out of your book.

PHP is an easy language. It is helpful to have a little bit of programming experience prior to using it, but this is not necessary. With a bit of self-discipline, anyone can learn anything. This seems like a good place for you to ask questions, so you're set with that, but another good forum is at http://www.zend.com. http://www.php.net and http://www.mysql.com will be your top two most useful websites.
  • jannin
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Cranbrook, BC Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Meh, in my own personal opinion (which doesn't really count for much but hey) I found that most of the books I looked at were way over my head, like you said, so I did most of my learning online, just learning bits and pieces until I actually understood what was going on... although I started out by learning javascript and that has probably helped me understand php a lot...
A few of the sites I went to were free2code.net and hotwired.com/webmonkey.
Like, I said, meh. Don't know if that'll help at all...

/jannin
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

The PHP manual comments are worth reading once your are a little more familiar with the language.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heck yeah they are. But they'll scare any beginner or novice programmer to death! I'm pretty sure those guys all live and work in dark basements. :lol:
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts