which languages are the best?

• funtasy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • funtasy
  • Loc: kl malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

:!: what type of p.lang. u guy know? how many u can learn? 4 a beginer should start with html 1st?....or other? which 1 is easier?n useful?
  • Inito
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

html, for sure
php together with JavaScript is a scriptinglanguage, wich is to make dynamic websites.
anyways, if you dont really get it, trust me, start with HTML.
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

funtasy wrote:
:!: what type of p.lang. u guy know? how many u can learn? 4 a beginer should start with html 1st?....or other? which 1 is easier?n useful?

HTML is a markup language, not a programming language. If you are interested in making webpages and not applications then HTML is certainly a good place to start. However, if you want to learn programming concepts a formal programming language would be a better place to start.

Markup definition from the Free Online Dictionary of Computing:

In computerised document preparation, a method of adding information to the text indicating the logical components of a document, or instructions for layout of the text on the page or other information which can be interpreted by some automatic system.

For example, HTML adds information inside tags that can be understood by a web browser and describes the elements of a webpage.
<hr />
Examples of programming languages would be c/c++, visual basic and many others.

Programming language definition from FOLDOC:

A formal language in which computer programs are written. The definition of a particular language consists of both syntax (how the various symbols of the language may be combined) and semantics (the meaning of the language constructs).

There are also scripting languages like javascript, php, etc that are similar in terms of syntax and semantics to application languages like c/c++, but there is some debate whether they should be considered full programming languages. You can read more about that debate here if you're interested.
<hr />
As far as which programming language you should learn first there is considerable debate about that as well, and there is no simple answer in my opinion. For what it's worth, I learned them in school in the order of C, C++, Visual Basic and Java. Since many other languages use a similar syntax to C, I found it to be a good starting place myself, although it is not the easiest to learn. C++ adds the concepts of object-oriented programming to C and is fairly difficult to master. In my opinion, if you can learn the syntax of C and then master the object-oriented concepts of C++ you should be able to adapt to other languages without too much difficulty.

The bottom line is that languages are tools and which one is better depends entirely on what you want to do. For web pages I would start with html/xhtml and learn css then progress to learning javascript and perhaps php for dynamic purposes. For traditional programming languages, I myself found learning C first to be helpful. Learning a traditional language would also be helpful when it comes time to learn scripting languages like javascript and php, since there are many similarities.
  • phragmaster
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

For a beginner, I recommed Pascal, as its easy to learn and contains all the fundimentals languages such as C++ contain.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, Pascal/Delphi/Kylix are great languages. When done right, they can be just as powerful as C/C++, and don't have all the extra baggages of languages such as VB.

Great programming language for applications.

As for the web languages, I'm 100% PHP these days as far as server-side goes (although, you can create Linux CGI applications in Free Pascal for Linux too). :)
  • lslars31
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lslars31
  • Loc: Minesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

my favorite coding is php
  • thevirus
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • thevirus

Post 3+ Months Ago

My favorite code is also php but I am terrible at it. I suggest after learning html learn C++. I never did but I hear it is very usefull. After that learn php and mysql. I am still in the process of learning to set up mysql tables. To difficult for me without someone over my sholder helping me out

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts