Which web programing language will you choose? php?jsp?

• hlxwell
  • Born
  • Born
  • hlxwell

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you will do a big web system~!
Which web programing language will you choose?
php?jsp?asp?asp.net?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Depends on the web system and the platform it is running on.

If it is running on a windows system I would go for .NET and MS SQL (general standard)

On linux I would go with PHP and MySQL but JSP and ORACLE do make a nice combination

Stay as far away from ASP as possible. The technology is becoming obsolete
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would go for ASP.net if I knew it.
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, how relevant is this?! My boss just asked me to investigate the benefits of migrating to ASP.NET from ASP. Am I right in thinking that ASP.NET allows the development of Object-Oriented code? I'm a Java programmer and *hate* VBScript, so I'm dying to get my hands on C#.
Anyone think of some good reasons to switch to .net?
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

katana wrote:
Wow, how relevant is this?! My boss just asked me to investigate the benefits of migrating to ASP.NET from ASP. Am I right in thinking that ASP.NET allows the development of Object-Oriented code? I'm a Java programmer and *hate* VBScript, so I'm dying to get my hands on C#.
Anyone think of some good reasons to switch to .net?

Going from ASP to ASP.NET well there are a hundred good reasons to do it. The main one being the fact that ASP is no longer under development.

ASP.NET is managed Object Orientated Code. It is kinda Microsofts belated reply to Java.If you look at the Object Models they are very similiar to Java in the way that they interact etc.

C# is an awesome language. I have used it a little and love it to pieces.

With the launch of LongHorn in 2006 the windows MFC is being replaced by .NET. So effectively all applications for windows will have to be ported to .NET.

In .NET the Visual Basic.NET compiled classes will work with C# compiled classes. So there is no need for specialst VB.NET apps. What is great about .NET is the fact that the Open Source version (MONO) runs classes written for the .NET platform. The list carries on forever. It is like Java being released all over again!

The biggest advantage (that I can see) is that .NET applications have the potential to be as big and intricate as Java apps but they don't require a runtime environment like Java does (assuming the app is running through a browser off a server with the runtime installed). This would explain Microsoft pulling the Java Virtual Machine out of the new OSs

HTH and don't quote me on any of this
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I only just managed to convince them to investigate putting in place a database server (MySQL to keep costs down) - at the moment all of our database driven web based software runs off MS Access databases!!! We have 1 license for ASP.NET, so I'm going to try and get it installed on a test machine and play with it for a while.
As I say, I really hate VBScript, so it would be awesome if I could use C#.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't know you had to license ASP.NET. Isn't it a free download and runtime environment? When I got the SDK it mentioned nothing about costs.
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, I meant we've got a licence for Visual Studio .Net, not ASP.NET. My bad.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Shoooo, thought I ws in trouble there
  • hooknc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • hooknc

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would recommend using JSP/Servlets/Struts framework for developing web applications.

But then again, I can't really spell ASP.NET.

:)
  • hlxwell
  • Born
  • Born
  • hlxwell

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh i like asp.net too,but windows is not secure enough.
but asp.net is easy to program with~!

if use linux or freebsd,I think jsp is my choice,because i like java language grammar.
  • hlxwell
  • Born
  • Born
  • hlxwell

Post 3+ Months Ago

After my web server be hacked,some one told me to drop my windows,and turn into linux. they said linux is more professional so we can config it more as we can,it will also take more config problem.so if we want to establish a high performance and most cheap web site,so linux + php + mysql is a good choice~!all right? but I don's think the language grammar of php is easy manage then jsp,i like java more then php. how do you think?
how to choose a blance point between secure and high performance.maybe it is incompatible~!~!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts