Work at home?

• sartori
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sartori

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it possible for me to set up my web pages so if I don't make it to work (I am sick), I can work on them at home? IF so? How would I go about doing this?
David Petro
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• The Apostle of God
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: SDSU, SD, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes... strange that you design pages though, and don't know how to do this.

Anyways, if you design your pages from a text editor, you will need simply an ftp client such as cuteftp, your server address, username, password, and possibly port number.

If you use a program like dreamweaver or frontpage, you still need the above info.
  • SpiderWeb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • SpiderWeb
  • Loc: Quebec, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

umm yeah kinda strange question i agree....

i have few sollutions :

1: save your work onto a floppy... ( if your site is'nt big )
2: burn the site directory on a cd ( if your site is big.... )
2: upload your work ( The Apostle of God said )
3: zip and e-mail you the site... ( here again if its not too big )

• sartori
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sartori

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is a school thing ... To help us get in touch with our business side ... O well... I get paid to do it. ANYWAYS!
So I need an ftp server. Would I save my pages as .ftp then? Or save them as Html documents? I have the address ... *there is no passwords I know of* You say I might need my IP addy? Well... Gonna go find some of these programs now.
Sart!
  • SpiderWeb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • SpiderWeb
  • Loc: Quebec, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

damn you are lucky to get paid for that "school" work ... :roll:
one question first : why they did'nt show you ... the "basics" before show you to build pages. ? how to upload a site should figure first .. on a webdesign lessons .. anyway ...

1: get an free account ( if you don't have one already .. )

you can register for one.... ( this is the google search for free host )

- http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=free+host&meta=

2: use a ftp program .. ( cuteftp, bftp . etc ) and upload your html pages + picture folder to that ftp ...

when you're at "home" , download the ftp program and use the info for the free host account ... and download your "things" ...

and so on ( you understood that u need to do the same... if you wanna return at work .... etc ) ?

good luck in this......
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is your site hosted on your school's computers? If so then you will probably need to ask them for some information about how to connect via FTP, so that you can upload/download files. If your site is hosted by another host then you would need to look into it there. Most commercial and free hosts provide the necessary instructions for using FTP programs to connect (not all free hosts provide FTP access though).

You will need an FTP client program not a server to connect remotely, unless you are using Dreamweaver (and FrontPage I think) since there is one built-in to Dreamweaver.

There is no need to make any changes to file extensions as the program just transfers files. You can find a list of them on one of my webpages:

http://www.freeprogrammingresources.com/ftp.html

Perhaps the simplest to use is the "limited" version of WS_FTP for windows (at least in my opinion).

When you go to connect it will prompt you with a dialog asking you for your host name (which in my case is ftp.mydomainname.com) as well as a user id and a password. If there is no user name and password then you can try checking the box "anonymous" which will fill in these fields for you.

If you are hosted at school you will probably need to ask them if you are allowed to access your site via FTP, what host name/address you should use, and whether you will need a user id and password or whether you can log on anonymously.
  • sartori
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sartori

Post 3+ Months Ago

The school has a policy ... I am smarter than my bosses at this! :) Yes we are a bunch of country bumpkins. :) So I would have to basically get a bunch of info to do this and THEN attempt to do it ... Man since I am lazy and don't really wanna do this I will just not work through-out the christmas break ... *I have no life but mud, sleep, school, work* Thanks for the help though... I will learn more about FTP and what not's through-out the "vacation" time. I am not trying to high jack anything, get ultimate free hosting, or anything like that ... Just wanna make my sites better and the amount of time alloted is not enough but I don't work for free. Yet again TkS for the help and all guys...
Sart!
  • sartori
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sartori

Post 3+ Months Ago

The school has a policy ... I am smarter than my bosses at this! :) Yes we are a bunch of country bumpkins. :) So I would have to basically get a bunch of info to do this and THEN attempt to do it ... Man since I am lazy and don't really wanna do this I will just not work through-out the christmas break ... *I have no life but mud, sleep, school, work* Thanks for the help though... I will learn more about FTP and what not's through-out the "vacation" time. I am not trying to high jack anything, get ultimate free hosting, or anything like that ... Just wanna make my sites better and the amount of time alloted is not enough but I don't work for free. Yet again TkS for the help and all guys...
Sart!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts