Do you code everything?

• DuffMan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm just curious as to how much people actually design their page in code, rather than a program like macromedia dreamweaver. I used to whip out notepad to create everything, but now I use dreamweaver because it saves me a whole lot of time, I see no point in actually writing my own html files by hand.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know I've said it elsewhere, but I can't use wysiwyg editors like Dreamweaver or Frontpage. I just have a mental block or something and can just never get them to do what I want. I've never been able to create a single page using the wysiwyg side. So I just code it all from memory, and I have most of the standards up there somewhere. For me it's quicker. Besides, that, I also know that if I write the code, I have a better shot at figuring out where any problems are, because I know what I did.

I'm not saying that either are bad programs or anything. I know they are very popular, and should be easy to use. I just can't.

Lastly, copy and paste is my friend (not intending to sound like I'm stealing others work and copying it, but many bits of code are so repetative that saves a ton of time.)

Yep - straight up code for me.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use WYSIWYG. Except my eyes are so used to html code, what I see in the code, is exactly what I get in the end product. I don't think programs like dreamweaver or pagemaker can give you that warm fuzzy feeling that making all the code yourself does. Now that most of my pages are generated using server side scripting, I have no choice but to do it via text.

Anyways since that was complicated I am pure code, I speak brackets and question marks with a few dollar signs and colons inbetween.

As for the copy and paste remark by mi amigo, I have been trying to retype code whenever I find I want to copy and paste it, so I atleast learn a little and maybe commit some of it to memory.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer wrote:

As for the copy and paste remark by mi amigo, I have been trying to retype code whenever I find I want to copy and paste it, so I atleast learn a little and maybe commit some of it to memory.

Good point. Actually, on the c & p part I was refering to stuff, like navigation links and other repetative tables and such that just need some minor editing. For what you are talking about, I agree that's spot on. A great way to learn. I completely have to do that with server-side scripting since it's all new to me.
  • neronxeron
  • Born
  • Born
  • neronxeron

Post 3+ Months Ago

its tough. i only did that when i didnt have frontpage and stuff....i work better with visuals.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use good old notepad for EVERYTHING. Actually my notepad is a bit more advanced as it allows me to do search and replaces across multiple documents, code syntax highlighting, etc. However it still is just notepad, just slightly advanced.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehehe :-P Same here, I tried using HTML-Kit and that is too user friendly for me, start typing a tag and things pop up, start with a table and things pop up.

I like Context, if only it didn't seem to eat ram at times. :(
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I personally use Dreamweaver, but I don't use it's WYSIWYG side.

I code everything by myself 100% (if I can't code it, chances are I won't use it).

I mainly just use dreamweaver for it's ability for color coding, it's ftp ability, and the HTML, CSS, and Javascript references (It's mainly what I used to learn all 3 of those)
  • RyTRiX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Michigan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Notepad 100%
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer wrote:
hehehe :-P Same here, I tried using HTML-Kit and that is too user friendly for me, start typing a tag and things pop up, start with a table and things pop up.

I like Context, if only it didn't seem to eat ram at times. :(

*smiles - you could just turn off "auto-complete" and then it's just like Notepad, except for being color coded and line numbers. And that is truthfully all I use HTML kit for is the line numbers. That DOES come in handy.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes it do :-P
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes it do :-P
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

i use a webpage maker and tweak stuff by hand :wink: My new years resolution is to get a copy of dreamweaver and learn to use it.
  • Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I guess I'm not soo experienced I use Dreamweaver 100% nah not really but mostly I use dreamweaver....
  • DymeMedia1
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

Notepad was my favourite when i was learning and practising i find it to be alot better to code and its true that way any problems theyr easily rectafied but that was the past lol these days im a fan of dreamweaver and notepad every now and then to make sure everything is perfect and to go over it properly coding is a great way to learn it properly for a lazier and easier way to do things dreamweaver for sure. but notepad remains as the backbone for everything.
  • SniperDevil
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's amazing what such a simple program like Notepad or Emacs can do for you!

BTW, does anybody use Emacs (on Linux that is)?? Wow, this program does NOT compare to Notepad!!!!! (did I mention !!!!)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts