If you have a second to post a screenshot

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I need screenshots of this page in as many browsers as possible. Or at least a description of what's being displayed if posting a screenshot is a problem. Mobile browsers (iPhone, iPod Touch, etc) are especially wanted.

You should see something like this,
Attachments:
gzip-test.gif

This is in connection with this thread.
  • Zwirko
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: 55° N, 3° W

Post 3+ Months Ago

Opera:

Safari:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Awesome, thanks. :D

I should mention that so far I've seen pretty much the same results with slightly varied user-agent and accept headers in the following browsers.

Opera (Vista/Ubuntu)
Firefox 3.5 (Vista/Ubuntu)
Chrome (Vista)
Internet Explorer 8 in normal and compatability view (Vista)
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

FF 3.0.15 on Mac OS X 10.4.11, Power PC
Attachments:
Picture 1.png
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm kinda spooked about Safari. I can't implement this if it's going to cause problems for my Safari users, I have a lot of them. :scratchhead:

I keep reading that Safari doesn't like to receive "*.gz" files for javascript and that it wants "*.jgz", but Zwirkos screenshot for Safari doesn't seem to stick with that for my example. The screenshot indicates that Safari is loading the gzipped files just fine.

I think the catch is that my HTML is sending a request for "file.js" to the server, and the server doesn't modify the URL, mod_rewrite does an INTERNAL redirect to the gz file and sends a gzip Content-Encoding header along with a normal text/javascript Content-Type header.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I implemented this for my static HTML cache and kept an eye on my logs. I'm seeing subsequent requests for Safari (and all other) visitors so it would seem that everyone's at least getting something even if it's not the compressed versions.

It took a whole 5 minutes to add a whopping one line to my cache generator to generate static gz versions of the html files when a new page is generated, and to copy the mod_rewrite/mod_headers code from the project in my first post.

I expect my disk usage to increase by 30%, but my bandwidth usage associated with HTML files should drop by 70%. Since HTML is 33% of my bandwidth usage my overall bandwidth usage should drop by 25% without incurring the load of mod_deflate.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts