American English

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is this the official language of Ozzu?

I ask because when headlining the "Take a View" topic i typed the word "favourite" the way i had been taught to spell it here. In America i understand you all spell it "Favorite", so which is the preferred spelling?

As much as it pains me to ask, but should i just start typing all the words i know the American way as i have done when doing editing some stuff for my website. For example, the word Color is spelled Colour here.

What are your thoughts?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally I think there are so few real differences between American English and British English it really doesn't matter
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

For the most part anything I do myself will be American English. The reason you probably found that Color is Colour is because the language pack that comes with phpBB is British English.

Anyway like Mark said, it probably doesn't really matter. I can still understand you when you type that way ;)
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I'm the only American that prefers to spell it "grey".
  • satya-prakash
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Bangalore

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, everyone can read and understand both way.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I say you stay true to who you are and write the language you know. I think we're well-versed enough here to keep up. :)
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the 5 years i've been on this site* i've always kept to the language i knew. It just really dawned on me that it might be interesting to see what everyone else thought to the way i spell certain things. For the most part the language is spelt more or less the same only there are the odd word that isn't.

Thanks for giving me an idea. I am just wondering if i can push the boundaries and start typing in "scots" :lol:

*just 2 and a bit weeks shy
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've watched a few Scots have conversations on poker tables using "scots" to chat. Couldn't make out a blooming thing they were saying to each other. lol

Interesting chart. Recognized seeing many of those words before, and was also reminded I'd still like to try haggis some day.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haggis is good. November 30th is St Andrews day*, have one then.

*St Andrews being the patron saint of Scotland, just like St Patrick is of Ireland.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I think I could handle eating some just fine. However, being familiar with the ingredients in the recipe, I'm not certain I could bring myself to actually making it myself without totally grossing out -- let alone I have no idea where I could find the ingredients locally (sheep stomach, liver, heart, tongue and bung - aren't common grocery items here, and I'd be hard pressed to get them from my local butcher I think). Think I'll just wait until some day if / when I ever get to Scotland and have someone more experienced make it.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is easy. There must be a supermarket somewhere that will sell it pre-made which is good enough. It will be in a bag and all you have to do is steam it for 60 minutes. Burst the bag and it's ready to consume.

You've got to understand, i can barely make toast...so if i say it is easy it really is :lol:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, getting traditional haggis will be tough. The USDA put a ban on haggis exports in 1971 and doesn't allow the use of lungs in food

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/200 ... ggis_N.htm

I did see a couple possibilities for some "imitation" versions, that could possibly be obtained online.

Quote:
Canned Scottish Haggis Hits America
Haggis—it’s a food that makes you smile or cringe. This large sausage-like dish, comprised of meat and oatmeal packed into a natural casing, is a Scottish staple, but can put off delicate American eaters because of the inclusion of innards, such as kidneys, liver, heart and lungs. Haggis has gotten a bad rap, according to Jim Walters, owner of Caledonian Kitchen (www. caledoniankitchen.com), a Texas-based company that makes canned haggis for the U.S. market. His mission: To create a canned version that reminds him of the haggis he enjoyed abroad. He's adjusted the traditional recipe to suit American’s tastes by using cows instead of sheep. Since the U.S.D.A. doesn't believe lungs are suitable for human consumption, Walters’ haggis is lung-free. The ingredients are gently cooked over a long period of time to deliver the proper consistency and blend of flavors. The canned haggis retails at $8.99, while the Presentation Haggis (already stuffed into the casing) goes for $74.99. The centerpiece at most Burns Night dinners, which honor the 18th century Scottish poet Robert Burns, haggis is no longer hard to come by.

http://www.specialtyfood.com/do/news/Vi ... cle?id=321
http://www.caledoniankitchen.com/catalog/
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is crap. Canned Haggis will just have to do.

:lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts