Archive the current Introductions thread ?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

What about unstickying the current Introductions thread in General, creating a 2007 introductions thread, posting a link to the older introductions thread in the new thread & stickying the new thread ?

With 200 some-odd pages, it can take a few seconds to load that current thread.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

This would also stop it appearing in all existing users egosearch and newposts pages.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

bump
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see where you are coming from with this, but i kinda like it to stay. It's sort of become such a major part of this website and would be a shame for it to just have no continual part of the site. It's a good sign to new users that this site has had it's fair share of users over the time.

I don't know. I agree with what you say. To start a 2007 from scratch would be very refreshing. It's sorta like dare i say it a car model of the 70's being replaced with a newer car model in 2007 just for a few more seconds. I'm one for keeping history just that - history (and building on it).
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

An alternative, would be to split the introductions into locked threads for each year & keep locking/archiving them once a year while linking to the previous archives in the new thread.

Introduce Yourself 2002
Introduce Yourself 2003
Introduce Yourself 2004
ect

Sooner or later that thread's going to be completely unmanagable, as it sits right now Bigwebmaster would need to do any splitting with a few fancy SQL queries because 4300 replies showing up isn't somthing you want happening in the moderator controll panel.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will definetely be doing something concerning this. Joebert has a good idea. The main reason it needs to be done is large threads like this do put a huge load on the MySQL server, and breaking them up would resolve that problem.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Having read the reply by Joebert, i somehow like the idea. Introduce Thread 2003/4/5/6/7 threads would be good.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts