Automatic replies.

• Troubadour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there....
Don;t know much about PHPBB, but thought I would shoot this out....

how about if a post remains unanswered for Xdays (like 3), the system auto replies and PM's the moderator or something to prompt for a reply..

even if it ends up beign a "sorry I have no idea" as opposed to nothing at all.???

TroubZ
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Probably could be done, but I know a few of the mods start with unanswered posts and go from there. Me, I just read almost every post when I'm available to do so. The thing is, if a post doesn't get an answer then no one knows how to answer it. If it appears to have been overlooked, I know all of us mods know how to bump it up to a more visible position. I think most of us mods are aware of posts that don't have answers or responses, but OZZU is not about mods responding to all posts. It's about community and everyone participating. It has become much closer to that than when I first started. Lately, I've actually replied to fewer posts in my fields of expertise than I used to because the answer/s are already there.

I'm not sure if writing a program to do what you suggest could be any more effective than what we already have in place with humans.
  • Troubadour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey there Night owl....
And thanks for the reply.

All good points...
I appreciate them all. To be honest I wasn;t really writing the suggestion from my point of my view.

Sure, it was prompted by the fact that a post I wrote didn't get a reply... But it was really from the point of view of our younger members, "our" - you like that?? how's that for community spirit?

Anyway, I am completely aware that if a post doesn't get a reply, then it most likely because no one has an answer, and having been around PC's and forums (some 17 years now since I ran my first BBS) I know not to get upset, just because "I" don't get a reply.

But I have noticed that the ozzu community has a lot of young kiddies, just starting out, and I was really just empathising with them and how I felt when I first started out...

Perhaps a coupe more moderators?? to help spread the friendly spirit?

Anyway,
Thanks for the reply and have a great Weekend!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fortunately, through good design and management by Bigwebmaster, this place gets modded pretty much 24x7x365 (different time zones help that much)

Trust me, we discuss potential mods all the time. You have a great suggestion, and thanks for taking the time to post it.
  • Troubadour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have tonnes of great ideas....

Its the completion rate that lets me down!!!! :D
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the newcomers should learn like we all had to. These new times, all this talk about automated this and remote controlled that. In the good ole days if people didn't reply to a post, it fell to the bottom!

:-D :lol:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

What I am happy to see is the differenc from when I first arrived where it could take as much as a day or two to get a reply. Now, in many cases posts get replied to within hours, and sometimes within minutes.

Makes a huge difference having so many talented people in the community.
  • Troubadour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am really happy with the support that I have gotten from others here in OZZU.

I am not complaining at all...

Although saying that, Brandon, I really don't think its the quite right to just say, well that's the way it's always been, so get used to it - like everyone else had too.

This suggestion forum is a good indicator that generally OZZU wants to continually improve its service.

I don't pretend for a minute to have all the right answers or right ideas... but as long as you guys (in a postion to influence change) are listening, I will continue to provide you with my thoughts...

Don't be shy either... if my idea(s) are *plum*, don't be afraid to say so, I am pretty much unoffendable.

I think the very first rule that ever made sense in the days of BBSing was
"Do not offend anyone"
"Do not be easily offended"

It was a pretty much an if all else fails rule... but a good common sense approach and definately a sense of humor has held me in good stead for some 16/17 years of online experience.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*smiles @ Troub -- I can't say as I have that much accumalative online experience, But I did enjoy that last post. Keep 'em coming!
  • Troubadour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
*smiles @ Troub -- I can't say as I have that much accumalative online experience, But I did enjoy that last post. Keep 'em coming!

As I am sure you're only too aware ATNO, it is quality and not quantity that really counts!

And, you'd be best be careful about he smiling too.... i was in the navy.... people might start to talk!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

rotf....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts