BBCode versus Markdown

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am strongly considering dropping BBCode support on the next version of Ozzu that is being developed. I am liking the Markdown format, seems much simpler and much more natural when it comes to typing out posts. Also members won't have to worry about opened and closed bbcode tags as in the past that some members do incorrectly. I also think storage wise it would be much simpler in the database.

Thoughts?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ScottG
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ScottG

Post 3+ Months Ago

would there be different handlers for code (javascript, php ...) with the color coding?

Would you then be doing a mass replacement of bbcode on all older post?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Makes no difference to me, I'll use whatever's available. :)

Though, given I'm moving more towards browsing the web from my phone, something that works well with speech-to-text would be nice. That might just be me pondering about how to program from my phone lately though. :)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I would have to do some sort of conversion from the old database to support the new format, there will be likely lots of things besides posts I will need to convert, that will be an entire process in itself.

There will still have to be some sort of handler for code to mark blocks, will have to figure that out still. I am debating on moving the syntax highlighting to a JavaScript based implementation as well.

As far as the phone and the majority of posts, markdown wouldn't be required, you could just simply type (say) words and write paragraphs like normal. That is one nice thing about markdown, is its much more natural. I also like the fact that if for instance you were to copy and e-mail that had a bunch of greater than signs, it would automatically create a blockquote for that area. For example:

> A quote
> in some sort of
> email
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is a good idea but [BBCode] is so popular...
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

What I may end up doing is also adding a function so that for those who want to continue using BBCode it would automatically be converted to Markdown when they submit a post. Shouldn't be too hard to do, and would get the best of the both worlds then. Everything would be stored in the database using Markdown though, so when you edit a post you wouldn't see bbcode there anymore.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

never used markdown, BBcode is all i have known so far. but if you could do both then sure everyone will be happy but low tech class may still need BBcode tho as they may not want to learn a new format.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do it. Markdown is fantastic. :iconthumbleft:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts