Catagory Suggestion

• AnthonyF
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Perhaps change the Search Engine parent catagory to 'Marketing/Promotion' and make another forum just for marketing tips and strategies. Keep the google/search engine forum under the marketing/promotion catagory.

Just a thought
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

That may be a good idea. I have actually considered that.
  • AnthonyF
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

For sure. Only reason I really bring it up is because finding quality marketing info w/o all the "...and the eBook only costs a one-time, no-risk, small investment of $79..." crapola thats saturated even Google nowa days.

Its hard to keep up with whats still working w/o paying for the latest trends. Besides that, internet marketing is more or less my claime to fame so at least there'd be a section I could confidently contribute to.

Good times
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm..just out of curiosity then...I just spent a good chunk of my companies money to purchase WebTrends. I've used that one for some time at my domain and clients domains because it came with the hosting plan, but knew from the start it wasn't a freebie. I'm interested in your thoughts about WebTrends...albeit somewhat after the fact
  • AnthonyF
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

If by webtrends you mean NetIQ.com - I really can't give you an honest opinion w/o knowing what type of business your in. What website/type of business is your company in and what services of theirs did you sign up for?

From a birds eye view they look like an over priced ad tracking and web analysis company for corporations with deep pockets. I couldnt find an actual price for the software/servicse they offer, for that you have to contact a sales rep which usually isn't a good thing as far as price is concerned.

I do know, however, that the services they are offering reflect those of a piece of software I used to use for search engine submission, optimization and tracking called Webposition Gold which ran me $97 a month. Id imagine this isn't the larger sum of your companies money so am curious what exactly you purchased from them. Let me know
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bought the log analyzer. I can read what's in the raw logs for the most part. But it's a lot harder to interpret the raw data for the marketing gurus. I'd used WebTrends log analyzer as part of my domain hosting for several years and liked the output. Made things a lot simpler. The price was $499 for the license and $89 for maintenance/support/upgrades on an anual basis.

I do like it -- I was just curious if anyone knew whether it was worth the price. Kinda silly for me to even ask though. I used to train my sales people that when they perceive the value of the product or service you are selling to be equal to or greater than the dollar amount you are asking for it, then they will buy it.

So, I guess I sorta answered my own question, didn't I? *lol

(P.S. it's a nuclear services company)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nuclear services? And they still made you pay? The ol' "give me the software or watch out above" angle didn't work? ;)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol Axe -- not that kind of nuclear services.
http://alaron-nuclear.com (I need to revise the site again soon. I'm not at all happy with the menu and a few other odds and ends)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thought I might add this addendum to the story. Today being March first, I thought I'd test out WebTrends and puruse the results. Oddly the first thing I noticed was that my company's website trends at about 6MB bandwidth per day, however, on the 21st of the month the bandwidth spiked to 40MB (I know that's small for some sites - but it was a huge increase for me)! I'm like what's up with that? So I took a look at the referer stats and noticed a particular forum referer that I did not recognize (not this one) that seemed to dominate the same day. I did a quick look-about and discovered that someone there had found a picture at my company's website via research they were doing for a work project and posted a "hotlinked" inline version of it via my webserver. (Well it could have been taken as a humorous photo so I really can't fault him for posting it.)

The best part is that after I politely asked one of the mod's (turns out he's the owner) via their comment form to remove the copyrighted image, I got a response in less than 5 minutes and after a few emails back and forth for him to determine exactly where the link was, he promptly removed it.

So for his courtesy and promptness, I'm going to gently "plug" his site:
http://www.fark.com (*note--the site and forums may not be accepted by all for content -- just a fun place for adults to hang out and banter back and forth -- but probably not for kids) Drew Curtis, apparently the owner, was the one who took care of it, and I was extremely impressed with how he responded to it.

All that aside, just wanted to add a note that WebTrends just took a step towards paying for itself, in this somewhat small bandwidth savings.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

You got farked? What was the image?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol Axe -- did you upgrade your ICQ yet? I'll send it to you there once we connect. I'm not going to violate my own company policy by posting what I just complained about today here *grins
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd like to add my agreement to a "business management/client interaction/marketing/promotion" category addition idea thing.

:thumbsup:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts