Challenges - repositories

• Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Has Ozzu ever thought about having a coding challenge and starting a repository for components that Ozzu members could build?

This would stop us from having to rumage through piles of code looking for a piece we wrote seven million years ago to hack to pieces and hand down to the needy.

just a thought
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Freakyp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: M'boro. TN, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

what kind of coding? C\C++\php\asm :?:
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well effectively anything.

I mean it has to be web-based or a web solution (considering that this is a web master forum) and platform independant
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you talking about a collection of generic function for people to use? Like little libraries of non-specific functions, that people can use to build their own scripts with. Because that would be quite handy. I've been writing some useful regex-based PHP functions ("strip multiple whitespace characters" and "get the contents of a specific tag type", stuff like that), that I wouldn't mind sharing, for the greater good.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Classes, generic functions, all sorts of things. You know - the little functions we build to make life easier for ourselves while developing a project and then finding out it can be used acriss multiple projects.

Would be great to build up a library here. Then we don't need to dig through our hard drives looking for code we did years ago, we could just direct the user to the library.

Could even split it across the different languages. PHP, JS (that tree you built was nifty), C++, C etc
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

RD, what were you saying about posts in the suggestions not getting much interest ;)

Anyway, linked in with the original thread, how does the following sound:

We make the most rock solid, generic, extensible, totally reusable form validation system on the planet?

IE, use OOP to define the properties of all of our form elements, what they are called, max/min lengths, required or not, data type/format validation using regular expressions.

For each form we create a config file, that passes all the form data to the main server-side script, which generates the html for the form. When the form is submitted, we use the validation rules to run it through generic functions for validation.

Finally, when we generate the html, we also generate the appriopriate Javascript validation functions to validate it as well. As JS uses the same regex syntax as PHP that should work quite nicely. The JS there of course to reduce server load by preventing multiple form submit when dumbass users get it wrong, and to speed up the process for said users.

You asked for a challenge, and it looks quite challenging to me. It will also mean no more form validation writing, we just add new regex for new datatypes. It'll also spank the pants off most existing form validation systems out there.

Your thoughts?
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well now we are talking. Sounds great! When do we start?

Communication is another thing. Will we be doing it through the programming forum, PM or should we request a new forum?

Would be nice if everyone got the chance to get involved.

Okay so I am busy working on a basic object model (diagram). Once you reply to this I will contact you via the neccessary means and let you know where it is. Then you can have a look at it, say yes or no, makes changes and we can start the development
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rabid Dog wrote:
Well now we are talking. Sounds great! When do we start?
Don't know, not yet though lol, I don't have the time until early september TBH.

Quote:
Communication is another thing. Will we be doing it through the programming forum, PM or should we request a new forum?

Would be nice if everyone got the chance to get involved.
Indeed it would, I guess there is no problem with the programming forum. I doubt there is any chance of us getting a "collaborations/projects forum" set up though....

Quote:
Okay so I am busy working on a basic object model (diagram). Once you reply to this I will contact you via the neccessary means and let you know where it is. Then you can have a look at it, say yes or no, makes changes and we can start the development

Well post it here or PM me, I'll take a look and will probably be able to understand it, but bear in mind I havn't done any OOP before. The whole point I suggested it for this is that it seems to be a perfect candidate to learn from and it would be nice to work with a more experienced programmer on some stuff.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Will PM you the URI for the location of the diagram.

I wouldn't say I am super experienced though, just get around and it is what I do for a living.

Did you ever get a chance to look at the proxy killer?
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I realise this is a bit old but I wanted to bring it up again (that didn't sound good) as there has been no response from the mod team.

Thanks
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reminder. I know I had forgotten about it. Not sure what will happen with it, but it's a good idea, I think.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Thanks for the reminder. I know I had forgotten about it. Not sure what will happen with it, but it's a good idea, I think.

If Ozzu doesn't want to added it then maybe we could discuss some form of partenership where the code will be stored and presented on one of my domains with Ozzu users able to add their bits and pieces.

Obviously this wouldn't be the best idea as users would have to reregister for this domain
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

If we were to implement something like that what method do you think would be sufficient to organize the code? A directory type style where users could submit code to specific categories? Do you have a specific script in mind to organize all this? Suggestions would be welcome.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, yes, something similiar to that. But the users should have the ability to create directories. Maybe another idea (just to keep things clean) would be to appoint two or three new mods that could keep an eye on the programming forum and decide which pieces of code are suitable for such a repositor so you don't end up with reams of useless or duplicated code.

I don't have a script in mind but I would be willing to write one in accordance to the specs you recommend or I could come up with some sort of spec and confir with you and other designated mods to tweak etc.

Thinking about it out loud now it would have to be a carefully managed area of the site so I would scrap the users ability to add code as they please.

If you don't want to take it to far from the ozzu theme you could always create another forum (say Code Repository) and under this provide topics similiar to directories with the code posted inside the topics.

What I am seeing is not full blow web apps but components, bits and pieces of code that people can be refered to. Things like, oh I don't know, silly example -> a database connection routine or class, or a class that uploads files or functions that strip HTML tags or prevent SQL injections from succeeding. If some one has a web app they have written then maybe get them to submit it for proofing before releasing it o the ozzu mass.

Then the mods of the programming forum can keep a close eye on the code being posted and if they recon that the code could be useful they can take it and place it in the repository. They might also get an idea from a piece of code, mod it to be re-usable and then post it in the repository. I would be more than willing to donate code and I am sure there are other valued members of the forum that would be keen to do so as well.

The problem I find at the moment with the prog forum is that things get buried very quickly (which is a good thing because it means users are making alot of posts but a bad thing because it makes it extremely difficult to find old pieces of code).

So in a nut shell I recon it should be a moderator only place to post but users can access the posts to retrieve the code. Mods decide which code is good enough. Then when a user asks for a function that will write his DB to file you can go "Yeah check out the code repository under DB back ups". (silly example). You might also want to set up a Poll so people can vote on the code if they feel like it.

I hope this makes sense and I thank you for taking the time to entertain the idea
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

can there be a full script part on this too and people could upload there full scripts
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

cowkiller wrote:
can there be a full script part on this too and people could upload there full scripts

As I stated in the previous post, I think it would be better if the mods decided which piece of code went up and not the users. The problem with users posting code is that it might be malicious and people trust the code posted in Ozzu.

I can't see a reason why full scripts wouldn't make it up but I think there should be a few criteria in place for full scripts ie:
1. They should be modular in nature
2. They should be well documented with comments etc
3. They should be well tested by the person submitting them to the mods for review
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rabid Dog wrote:
As I stated in the previous post, I think it would be better if the mods decided which piece of code went up and not the users. The problem with users posting code is that it might be malicious and people trust the code posted in Ozzu.

This is one thing that came to mind when I read this topic, in that everyone would be posting their scripts left, right and center without any process to validate whether they are actually any good or not. I like the idea of have a code repository, esp. considering there are a lot of common questions that come up in the Programming board, and it would be easy to refer to snippets of tried & tested code.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts