Cleaning up old usernames?

• JustABob
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • JustABob

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just joined today and was poking around the site. While I didn't have any trouble creating an account, I happened to go over to the members page. In there I hit posts and forgot to change it to descending.

There I found a bunch of accounts with 0 posts. by a lot, I changed the get number to 2050 and it was still 0, heck at 5050 it was just getting to 1 posts (like page 101 of 260).

Just a thought but perhaps cleaning out the accounts that no one has logged in over the past 6 months and have 0 posts could allow future visitors to get the username they want. admittedly that will reduce the number of members that the page lists.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think thats a good idea there must be a small hack that will do that
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

or u guys could either do it urselves like the moderators or.... have a trusted forum memeber with nothing to do do that

thank god im far away from dat lol im on page 2
  • JustABob
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • JustABob

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im not too familar with the backend of a BB, but I thought it ran on a mysql database. It might be possible to just run a query to see where
users total posts = 0 and join date < today - 6 months

Easier said then done, but if there is a user table and a messages table its possible. Much easier then manually deleting them.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ozzu is automatically "pruned" of users that have either never activated, or never logged in on at least a monthly basis. I believe Bigwebmaster customized that script himself.

What would you suggest for activated users that have logged in at least once with zero posts? In going through the first 50 pages of the members with zero posts earlier today I noticed 3 currently logged in. What would you suggest to not deter folks who like to lurk with a logged handle but elliminate "non-users" so-to-speak? It's hard to say how many users with zero posts do not lurk here logged in which is why (I think) those users don't get deleted.
  • JustABob
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • JustABob

Post 3+ Months Ago

good point. hmm..

So if a user creates an account, but never logs in after a month they are deleted.

your message made it sound like there is an ongoing script to delete inactive accounts. I dont have access to the admin features / database, but if someone does, is there a way to see when the last login for user X was? If so could they run a query of login time and just see what the oldest one is?

I dont mind lurkers, its just that I choose 0 posts because if users were deleted with posts (even really old ones) there could be problems if someone else takes their handle.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

You've got it right. They are pruned if they either don't activate, or never log in after activating. Users that have even just one post are never deleted, because the posts they made get deleted as well.

Another problem to work around on this is that I would guess at least a hundred or so of those zero posts are banned members which we don't want to delete because we want to avoid having those handles reused or the banned members returning to goof things up again.

At the moment without some serious programming, it's hard to decide how to make what you're asking work without potentially messing with an interested and potentially good members account.

I do understand your point though. I've never looked prior to this post andwas quite surprised at the total number of members with zero posts.
  • JustABob
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • JustABob

Post 3+ Months Ago

No worries,

Like I said, I have no idea what the backend looks like nor what sort of info is available. I just happened to stumble onto this and was wondering what could be done. I would rather err on the side of caution and keep around a few extra accounts and not mess up the board.

If nothing else, this might be a worthwhile feature to suggest to some of the people that create these boards and have them think about how to tie it in when developing new versions. most likely it is something that they just never thought about.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this though!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's definitely worth looking into, although I have no idea what Bigwebmaster's feelings will be on it. I'm not sure he's even seen this post yet. I guess the biggest benefit would be free up a bunch of user names for recycling so-to-speak. That's really the only true benefit I can see from it.
  • jmweb
  • Student
  • Student
  • jmweb
  • Loc: 127.0.0.1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Might not be a small hack but its very simple to program on your own. I'd suggest delete all users that have not made a single post and has been a member for 8+ months. This way their is less chance of deleting anyone that visits here and doesn't post.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think that is the best idea
free up some usernames and free up space in the database
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

How much room in the database do unused usernames take up? A very small amount, with 13000 total users, compared to the 200000+ posts lying around.

How do you know somebody won't come back after 8 months? What if somebody's spending a year in some far-off land, trying to trick people into joining his religion?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts