Clicking Next

• WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside,California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thought i would bring this up to the admin on this bored i was browsing through looking for a post i made in my profile on page 1 when i went to click on next it came up
Information

No topics or posts met your search criteria

so i click on 2 and the same came up. i wasn't searching for anything in particular and just wanted to view the next page. Thanks for the time
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm I just tried this and it seems fine for me. I click on your profile link and then click on "Find all posts by WoRd Of WiSdOm" and from there I click the next button and everything seems fine as it takes me to the next page correctly. Please let me know if you still have the issue, and if I didn't understand you correctly. Thanks.
  • WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea i would click next and even though there was another page nothing would come up it said no search met your criteria. Must have just been a fluke cause it works fine now
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was able to re-create this.

Happens when you start a search, then start another one then go back to the original.

phpBB stores the initial result topic/post ids in an array for a search & refers to that via session/search_id rather than searching the entire search tables again, for each paged set of results.

Every time a search is run, every result set for the current session is deleted, then the new set is saved in its' place.
  • WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes thats percisely what i meant i was looking at a profile and then did what was mentioned and it said that message. thanks for the help and am glad its not a real problem and just a error
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
phpBB stores the initial result topic/post ids in an array for a search & refers to that via session/search_id rather than searching the entire search tables again, for each paged set of results.

Yup, this is true. It's basically due to the fact that performing the initial search is pretty taxing on the system once you've got a few million records in the search words database (basically due to MySQL joins in the queries n' whatnot).

So, storing the results in a particular search ID record speeds things up a bit. But, to prevent the results from getting big and clumsy (and just as slow as searching real-time), it replaces your last search with your current search.

Quick experiment. Load up 2 browser windows both on the search page. Tell Window 1 to go search for something that you know will bring up multiple pages of results. Then flick to Window 2 and search for something else. You'll note that in Window 2, you can browse through the multiple pages of results.

Yet, if you go back to Window 1, you'll never get out of that first page without hitting re-searching (hitting F5 on the first page of results, and telling it you want to resubmit the data). Then it'll update your search record with the new search results and you'll be able to browse multiple pages again.

It's not the most user-friendly way of doing things, however it only really causes any issues in a small minority of real-world uses (the vast majority of people will never run 2 searches simultaneously on a phpBB board).

There are ways around it (that is, the forum's code can be modified - afaik there's no user-end workaround), although usually not without severe performance hits.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts