To be continued. . .

• Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Was noticing that '...' converted to '.' in message titles. With the length limit and a title that is too long it's nice to be able to end it with '...' instead of suddenly.

'...' has an entirely different meaning from '.' and is not 'excessive' as '!' or '?' or '!?!' would be. I think it should be removed from the excessive punctuation filter. Or is there something I am missing in the equation?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe if the … entity was unblocked so thoose that know how to use it properly can ?
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't think of any situation where you would want to prevent someone from using ... in their titles. Can you?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

What if...
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

What if.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with everything you type here Azoundria.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You and I can look at three dots & kinda assume it's an ellipsis.
A computer sees it for what it is, three dots, aka excessive use of the dot.
That's why there's an entity for the ellipsis.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then perhaps the best solution is to automatically convert it to the ellipsis.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why not just encourage people to learn about compressing the ideas contained within into a simpler title that will fit into the alloted space ?
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

What if that title is the name and slogan for your site? When you're looking for a site review, you want a descriptive title so reviewers will know what type of site they are reviewing. So you can't fit the slogan and want to shrink it. But you don't want it to end suddenly - you want people to know theres more you couldn't fit. Is there another way than ...?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, when Ozzus' own title doesn't fit into the title box, I know it's time to shut up. :lol:
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats why BWM blocked repeating symbles

Quote:
# Remove Extra Exclamation Marks automatically from topic titles
# Remove Extra Question Marks automatically from topic titles

http://www.ozzu.com/announcements-rules/ozzu-upgraded-t56097.html

Now Im not sure if the extra periods was in there and he just didnt mention it or if they put them in there for testing and then forgot to remove them.

Quote:
What if that title is the name and slogan for your site? When you're looking for a site review, you want a descriptive title so reviewers will know what type of site they are reviewing. So you can't fit the slogan and want to shrink it. But you don't want it to end suddenly - you want people to know theres more you couldn't fit. Is there another way than ...?

The title for site reviews is basicly there to give the views a general idea of what its about. ie) Baseball Team, Banking webpage, Cooking Forum.

There is no reason to put anything else.

Quote:
you want a descriptive title so reviewers will know what type of site they are reviewing.

Thats what the body of your topic is for. People that put all there information in the title then in there topic say 'Look at title' and give a link wont get alot of reviews because no one knows what there webpage is about besides from the content on there page.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am fully aware of the reason for blocking repeated ! and ? in titles.

And I think it should be up to the webmasters whether they want to include a slogan in their reviews topic. Some titles have multiple interpretations and most reviewers seek out to review sites they personally would be interested in. If they can't fully understand what a site is about because of differing interests, how can they provide an effective review.

In this way, providing a slogan such as 'Everything to Build a Great Website' makes sense so reviewers know without having to visit the topic that it is a site for webmasters, not, maybe, a site to link to other sites or someone's personal website. People who are not looking to review that kind of website would not waste their time and people who are quickly skimming to review a website of that type would be more likely to click.

It just seems to make sense. Just to get it clear, you are against the ...?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
And I think it should be up to the webmasters whether they want to include a slogan in their reviews topic.

I agree, the webmaster can put anything in there topic title they wish. But for your web page I would of just put "Everything to build a great website" as my topic title. You don't need the web address. If that didnt fit then I would put "Webpage creation resources"

Also like I said in my above post the body of the topic is for what the webpage is about. In your review it doesnt really talk about your webpage it just says that you made a service and its been up since March.

Quote:
It just seems to make sense. Just to get it clear, you are against the ...?

I don't really care :) I was just hoping to explain that might the reasoning behind it. If you can get BWM to change it more power to you. But I have a feeling he is very busy and I don't think it will be at the top of his list for a while.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

So you don't think the title of my site is important in the review topic?

Oh and you misread - the service on my site is not ready yet. It's coming in March. My site is just explaining the service.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

The reason I do not like ". . ." is because it indicates an incomplete title. When it was allowed it was abused greatly. The purpose of titles on Ozzu is to be as descriptive as possible within the allowed space to represent what your topic is about so that people know if they even want to read the thread or not. If ". . ." is used it indicates that they must now open the thread to even see if its something they want to read. When I see a title to an article or a book, I usually do not see titles ending with . . . very often. SEO wise for ozzu the ". . ." doesn't help very much, having an extremely descriptive title that fits within the space seems to work best to bring threads at ozzu on top of google. That will bring the original topic creator the exposure they deserve so that they can increase the chances of getting the replies they are looking for (if a regular member hasn't already done so).
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Azoundria wrote:
So you don't think the title of my site is important in the review topic?

I think the topic is just there to get the point accost of what your site is about. If the title can do that then great. But I have a feeling if someone sees the title IsMyWebsite they might think its a person site which it inst really from what I can see.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

What does converting ... to . do?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts