Convenience Factor.

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just a thought. You know how if you add a profile image to Facebook it auto resizes the image to it's size restrictions no matter what the original size of the image? Could something like this be added to the avatar upload here? I don't have a problem resizing images to the appropriate specs, but I'm thinking a lot of users do. Wouldn't it be more user friendly to just resize it correctly on the fly?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only thing I can see causing problems is that resizing images is resource intensive, especially if the image is rather large. However, I don't think that users change their avatars that often so I don't think it would make an impact at all really. Ozzu is probably on a powerful enough machine that it wouldn't really notice it either.

Also there is no real way to say "resize image to be xx kb in size" (that I know of). So to make sure the image is small enough in file size you would either have to set the quality down low so any image uploaded after resize will meet the desired max file size, or you would have to resize the image while adjusting the quality and checking the returned file size till you reach the desired max file size. (Only reason to do this would to try and get the best quality)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thumbnails are already being generated for attached images in posts, which basically works the same as resizing avatars would, just with a different implementation.

I see a few beta mods for something like this around already, nothing too mature looking though.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with your post in a way, i think it is affecting some members on this site however it's no big deal.

Is this perhaps the reason why you haven't changed your avatar in a year or so Mark? :lol:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
I agree with your post in a way, i think it is affecting some members on this site however it's no big deal.

Is this perhaps the reason why you haven't changed your avatar in a year or so Mark? :lol:

Partially. I actually do like that particular picture, but I also can admit to not changing it because every time I take a photo that I think I'd like to use, then I have to go through the bother of looking up the size requirements which I can never remember, then resize it, then come back and upload it. Usually I just don't want to bother to take the time to do that. If it was an on-the-fly upload, I'd probably have changed it multiple times in the last year.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts