crazy forum restrictions?

• mgason
  • Born
  • Born
  • mgason

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
I tried to post a question
first I was told I could not post an external link, wanted to show example of problem on my site.
Ok maybe there are reasons for that.
Then when I posted my actionscript code, in code tags it told me no links again, please rename , oh yeah I can't post it here, so decipher itemDOTname
which was part of my actionscript and not at all an uncommon thing
whats up?
Attachments:
kite drag offset 8_ parent_CS3.zip

(32.6 KiB) Downloaded 202 times

• Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Someone should do something about that because I'm certainly not going to download & open zip files here.

I would like to hear from some moderators on that.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

mgason, I can't tell if you're more worried about getting a solution to your problem or bitching and moaning about the way things are here. Which is it ?

Don, given Adobes history with security holes you probably have a better chance of getting something from the FLA than you do the ZIP. Not to say there's anything wrong with the attached file in this case.
  • mgason
  • Born
  • Born
  • mgason

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was pretty frustrated, it was late and I wanted help
so what is the solution?
I worked around the url by putting theSite DOT COM /thePage.html
but I could find no solution to the refusal to accept . in my code
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nobody here or anywhere else is going to convince me to open attachments, no matter what the odds are, if I didn't request them. If I can't understand a post due to the new regulations, I'll just go to another post.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

mgason wrote:
so what is the solution?

In an effort to curb a spam problem the rules for links and signatures was changed in August. Those changes are detailed here. Nutshell version is you have to have at least 150 posts and be a member at least 90 days before you can include links. Unfortunately, in your case where you had a legit reason for the link and I can understand that it was inconvenient and frustrating. Fortunately, instances similar to yours are not frequent, and as it has effectively reduced spam from new members who sign up only to spam, I doubt you'll see that change any time soon.
  • ndaustin
  • Loc: Newport, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
mgason wrote:
so what is the solution?

In an effort to curb a spam problem the rules for links and signatures was changed in August. Those changes are detailed here. Nutshell version is you have to have at least 150 posts and be a member at least 90 days before you can include links. Unfortunately, in your case where you had a legit reason for the link and I can understand that it was inconvenient and frustrating. Fortunately, instances similar to yours are not frequent, and as it has effectively reduced spam from new members who sign up only to spam, I doubt you'll see that change any time soon.

I can understand the frustrations of not being able to include links and attachments.
Anyone with decent antivirus (such as avg free - which has saved me many a time) will not have a problem opening attachments.

If we cannot have a signature for 150 posts then this simply encourages stupid posts like saying "thanks" and "great post" etc in every thread.

One of the major benefits which encourage active membership is the ability to use signatures so that we can generate backlinks to our sites... That is after all why we are actively engaged in internet marketing and forum posting.

I would like to become an active member of this forum, but there's no incentive when you have stiff competition like the Warrior Forum which allows signatures after something like 5 posts. So, sadly, I'll probably not visit here very often.

Digital Point Forum is bad enough with their very over-active habit of dishing out infractions, plus you have to make 25 posts before you can use a signature.... I managed to get over the 25 post limit by having a stupid argument with an egotistical idiot... when I reached 25 posts then I didn't bother reading his reply.... I simply used him to boost my score.

I hope you change your 150 post policy for something reasonable, otherwise you'll never be able to compete with other internet marketing forums that have a more realistic policy for encouraging membership... I do understand the spam problem, but I think 150 posts before a signature is way too much for me to become active here. A real shame!

OK... rant over.

Norman Austin :hmm:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it's funny when people complain about the number of posts required and then use "incentive to be an active member" as an argument.

You're basically saying you never planned on being an active member from the start. You look at the requirement as a goal that you have to achieve in order for your signature to show up, and when you achieve that goal you don't plan on sticking around after that, unless it's with a new account with new signatures.
  • ndaustin

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
I think it's funny when people complain about the number of posts required and then use "incentive to be an active member" as an argument.

You're basically saying you never planned on being an active member from the start. You look at the requirement as a goal that you have to achieve in order for your signature to show up, and when you achieve that goal you don't plan on sticking around after that, unless it's with a new account with new signatures.

Your comment is very prejudiced. You are assuming everyone is wanting to spam. Surely spammers are in the minority... This sort of a reply is not one that welcomes new members. It is obvious that I took time to give my opinion... If I was someone who was only wishing to make multiple profiles to spam my signatures then you wouldn't be reading all this.

If the forum is worth it's salt than I will stick around... Same as anything. If you like a particular brand of food for instance, then you'll be a customer.
In the same way, The Warrior Forum is excellent so I am a regular contributor, and that is not simply because I want my signature to be viewed.

The Ozzu Forum has stiff competition, and it is up to the management how they wish to attract and keep new subscribers.
150 posts to get a signature up is not an incentive when other IM forums don't require you to jump through so many hoops. If you are an internet marketer you should not view this in a negative light, but take it as a lesson in learning how to increase your business.

Work out a reasonable way to counteract the spammers without penalizing genuinely good contributors.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

We appreciate your thoughts, really. Since we implemented the strict rules with regards to signatures the amount of work moderators spend removing posts/spam has reduced dramatically. So in one sense our solution has helped a great deal. However, as you said the solution is not perfect, and for those who would actually be legit posters its not exactly fair to them either. However, what we are really interested in here at ozzu are poster's who just want to be here to participate and help each other out, not those that are here who are pretending to participate to really just get backlinks.

You mentioned that the 150 post limit encourages spammers to post short replies so they can reach their goal faster. What you may not realize is that we send out warnings to people who post useless replies. Every time a warning gets sent out the 90 day limit starts over which means they have to be here another 90 days before signatures would work for them. For the most part this has stopped about 99% of spammers since by the time they post 150 posts its very easy to tell if they are here for the right reasons.

I hope you can see this from our point of view, some forums like webmaster world, which is probably one of the leading forums as far as search engine marketing is concerned, even has stricter rules than we do. They tolerate pretty much 0 links, no matter if you even have thousands of posts there.

Overall, I respect your opinions, do you have any other ideas for a better solution?
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

On ozzu you can be rewarded for contributing with tutorials etc etc. I've seen a couple of members who joined the site and within a couple of weeks been invited to the special team group which takes away the restrictions.

Obviously if you impress and then abuse the priveleges then they will be taken away. You seem like a genuinely good member, and that's from just your two posts I have gathered that. Moderators notice things like this and I know there has been times in the past where I have particularly recommended a member for whatever. The restrictions are harsh, but very effective. The site works very well for both moderators/admin and the many regular members we currently have, many of which have been using this site for years.
  • ndaustin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
Overall, I respect your opinions, do you have any other ideas for a better solution?

Well thanks to you and SB for decent responses to my post... I thought I was going to get slammed for having an opinion, and if that happened I would have been out of here. As I implied earlier I've received infractions on Digital Point for insignificant misdemeanors (such as posting under the wrong forum topic), which left a sour taste in my mouth. Being able to communicate with a moderator makes a big difference... In the case of digital point, if you try to reach a moderator you get diverted to their Twitter account where you can leave a comment. Hardly a solution.

Anyway... enough of the moans. SB's suggestion for rewarding good contributors sounds great. If you make a point of stating that good contributors will gain privileges faster, then that will encourage better quality content. I've never been a moderator and therefore don't know how much work you all have to do, but I wonder if it would be reasonable to check other profiles on different forums as a reference for anyone who is showing signs of being a valuable contributor... Perhaps you could put a field in the "edit profile" section where contributors can specify profiles from other forums that could be used for cross-checking.

If this sounds like a good suggestion, then I offer to start the ball rolling... my Warrior Forum profile name is ndaustin (same as here) if you want to check the quality of my normal posts.

One other thought... If it's not too difficult to impliment, perhaps you could allow new members one signature link, and then increase that after X amount of time or posts, though I still feel 150 posts is over the top as some people don't post that much. As I say, I love the Warrior Forum, and have been a member for 7 months, though during that time I have only made 45 posts, so you can see it would take over 18 months before I became a fully fledged member if they had a 150 post rule.

Norman Austin
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I call it like I see it and everything about your first post signaled "someone who is only here to get free advertising". :)

--

I do like your idea about a place in profiles for links to other profiles. I think that needs more talking about.
  • ndaustin

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
I call it like I see it and everything about your first post signaled "someone who is only here to get free advertising". :)

--

I do like your idea about a place in profiles for links to other profiles. I think that needs more talking about.

It's very easy to jump to conclusions. I was simply responding to the original thread, especially in the light of my less-than-satisfactory experiences on Digital Point.

One joins forums for various reasons, and I admit that having a signature for backlink purposes is a priority for me, though I personally object to anyone who abuses this and doesn't actually provide any value for anyone else in the forum. It's the same on my blog site, where I will approve a comment from someone with a link if the comment is anything more than the usual "what a great post".

I like to give, so I'm not a spammer... After all, you always get back what you give out. Shame that the minority always spoils it for the rest of us, but that's just lessons in life, and there's always good to be gained from every experience. That's how we make progress, and progress only happens when one sees from an unemotional standpoint where one understands the lesson and moves on.

This is turning into a philosophical discussion - lol.

Norman :D
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

ndaustin wrote:

That's not a bad thing.

I too also like the suggestion you made. I am sure it will be discussed more and you'll probably hear back from the site admin (bigwebmaster) regarding it at some point.
  • ndaustin

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
ndaustin wrote:

That's not a bad thing.

I too also like the suggestion you made. I am sure it will be discussed more and you'll probably hear back from the site admin (bigwebmaster) regarding it at some point.

Great!

Seems like we've got off to a good start after all.

Norman :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts