Default Theme

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the interest of complete curiosity, but why is the light theme the default theme?

I've nothing against the light theme, although i prefer to use the dark theme. But on a non-biased viewpoint in complete and utter honesty i feel that the Dark theme looks better on the new site index page.

I just switched to a computer i'm trying to fix and hadn't been logged onto Ozzu before, so when loading up the site it appeared by default in light. Bigwebmaster, had you considered allowing users to switch from light to dark on the index page by clicking some sort of link? This might also do good for people to find out that there is a dark theme also enabled before they sign up...just incase (like me) they find the light theme too bright at times.

In the long term though, is it possible to add a bit more colour to the main index page on the light theme? Maybe i'm just not appreciating what everyone else is.

I sound incredibly ungrateful which wasn't intended to be the case.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do plan to eventually make another theme with warmer colors.

As far as why I have the light theme over the dark theme for the default, is that generally it seems that websites in this industry prefer that. When I used to have smartDark as the default back in the day there were many more complaints about the darkness. One reason I have both themes is that nobody is happy either way I go -- there are always some who prefer the lighter colors, and then the others who prefer the darker colors.

Finally as far as having a button so that people can easily switch colors (whether they are a member or not) that may be something I will consider.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

NOO! I like, I mean, REALLY like the light theme... don't do anything to it :shock:
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
they find the light theme too bright at times.

maybe set the brightness of your screen lower ... it isn't that bright in my opinion ... and I really like the light theme ... I've been using it ever since I've been a member here ...
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol:

I think it's all a matter of preference. We all like our own little thing, you've got used to the light theme...i much prefer the darker theme. If the dark theme were to disappear (much to my disappointment) i would eventually have to accept and get used to the light theme. But as thing stand, i'm pleased the dark theme remains.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going to try it again today, maybe I will change my mind ... I have nothing to lose ...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol: R_T. That's exactly what I just did... being on the dark side for 30 minutes... switched back haha

Too dark in my opinion... and my contrast and brightness is staying where it's at :P
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah it does feel a bit too dark for me also, and the grey/gray bar beneath the header bothers me ... the one with the breadcrumbs in ...
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haters.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like you said, "it's all a matter of preference". :D