"dysfunctional" tutorial editing policy

• mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey I'm about to be a whiny lil' twerp so first let me say how much I like the forum anyway :P

I understand that tutorials require approval prior to the initial post. However, after they have been approved do you think you could make the edits approval free? As long a mod gets notified that an edit has occurred, so s/he can check to make sure someone hasn't suddenly decided to stick something silly and inappropriate in, I don't see the point of having to get approval again and again because of an extra paragraph.

There's a few good reasons to make the edits instantaneous like a normal post, methinks:
  • people will be more likely to correct their mistakes.
  • if they do correct a mistake, the tutorial will not have to go offline for ~24hrs each time.
  • the url of the tutorial will stay the same, in case someone somewhere has bookmarked it
I'm not actually sure about that last point, but the url does have a five digit code at the end. I guess I will have to check when my tutorial comes back to see if it still has the same address, 'cause that would be pretty silly if it doesn't!

Just to whine a little more, I really did submit the thing to a mailing list so that the experts there could give me their feedback, which has been great. But if someone writes me or leaves a post that prompts me to make a change/improvement, every time this occurs the page is going to disappear for a day. Even if I save the changes up and do it once a week for a month (by which point it will be perfect :roll:), during that month of submission and feedback, the page will be down more that 10% of the time.

Which is kind of a nuisance. I suppose it would be nice if I could just write the thing perfectly to start with, but since that won't always happen, why discourage people from expanding and improving upon their contribution?

MK :mrgreen:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can understand this frustration, and may try and come up with a solution down the road.

For now though, if you intend on creating alot of tutorials you may want to join our special teams group and join the tutorial writer's subgroup. Members in that group have the potential of writing tutorials without any approvals from moderators.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
you may want to join our special teams group and join the tutorial writer's subgroup. Members in that group have the potential of writing tutorials without any approvals from moderators.

I am a member of the Tutorial Writer's group. Just to make sure, I tried to join again, and I get back "You are already a member of the selected group".
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay I see, yes you are but not officially part of the special teams yet which is why your name is not orange. Once you have done a few tutorials and we have a clear understanding that you know how to create tutorials per our guidelines on ozzu we can make it so you can submit without approval.

Again this is just to be sure that everyone who submits tutorials are following our guidelines.

Currently the way the system is setup I cannot make it so you can edit without approval without also enabling the post any new topic without approval. That is something I will consider down the road to fix though.

So with regards to your current situation once you are accepted to the special teams as a permanent tutorial writer (if you are interested please let me know) we can make it so you can post and update tutorials without any approval. Does that make more sense?
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
So with regards to your current situation once you are accepted to the special teams as a permanent tutorial writer (if you are interested please let me know) we can make it so you can post and update tutorials without any approval.

Okay, I will gravely deliberate with myself about this for a while... :roll:

:mrgreen:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts