Education

• Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it would be great if ozzu had an Education related section, looking that there are so many students in the "ozzuan" community, it would be a great thing.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not to sound odd, but I thought "in and of itself" OZZU IS educational. I have not failed to learn something new here every day that I've been here since I started. I don't know how you can improve on that.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have sometimes wondered why ozzu dosnt have more of a site to it.
Its good that ozzu is a dedicated forum but mayby there could be something extra.
Maybe something like http://www.ozzu.com/html where there would be the basics of html.

I have only been making sites for a couple of months and i sometimes have to google things like "how to hyperlink an image" , "html colours" or "dashed table border in css".

I reckon it would be benificial to have a refrence area where people could find answers to the question when the answers temporarily escape them.
I dont know if this makes sense.
  • Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm talking about school related content for our students, information about scolarships, maybe college students could share their experience with high school students, facts about education as a whole. We could discuss any kind of problem a student has, aswell as try to find solutions to it, I'm not talking about sharin out your homework but about helping a student to make the best desition.

I know OZZU is an educational website, however just as it goes in specific with the art section or the search engine section, it could go in specific with education.

what do u think?
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suppose. You do get a lot of people asking which programming languages they should learn to get a head start at Uni.
I like the idea of having an "Ozzu library" section, however wouldn't this overlap on BWM's bigwebmaster.com site?
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
i have sometimes wondered why ozzu dosnt have more of a site to it.
Its good that ozzu is a dedicated forum but mayby there could be something extra.
Maybe something like http://www.ozzu.com/html where there would be the basics of html.

I dont see the purpose in this. If you have an opening page to a website forum like Ozzu, what are you going to put? I can only think of a couple of things to put on this "html" page, that being Ozzu rules should be put there and quick links to certain forums to prevent people typing a lot of info to the "General" forum when it probably should be in the "Search Engine" forum. Neither of these should have a page dedicated to them because, if Ozzu had the rules as the main thing on this html page then people could be put off of joining the site.

I think because Ozzu is pretty straight forward as a forum this has helped create the success of it.

Getting back on topic, i like the idea that there should be some sort of Education forum, but to be honest, how many people are actually discussing Education on this forum? I agree this could be because people may be afraid they could get slaughtered for asking certain questions, but i dont really see any purpose on having a forum dedicated to it when in reality you have a forum dedicated to certain aspects of Education.

If there was an Education forum then people will start asking for other forums, which would be pointless. You have also got to take into consideration that the name of the site is Ozzu, and as you can see at the logo it is a "webmaster forum" not an educational forum.

This may sound quite harsh, but if you have to rely on others to inspire your decisions then you are probably going to make the biggist mistake possible. Everyone should do what they want to do (as long as its not breaking any laws), this way you can go as far as you want to. If you take somebodys word on a situation then you might end up regreting this in the future.

To cut a long story short, my official vote for the Education forum is No.

8)
  • Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm talking about scolarship information, college life experience shares, college major discussions, education and it's influence in society, vitality of education in our world, importance of it, ignorance towards the already mentioned, there is soo much to be talked about education.

We do have sections dedicated to specific aspects of education, however where can I discuss if some one could give me a help in a physics problem that is killing me, where can I ask a college student about his experiences in his college, where can I maybe even ask a college teacher certain questions. General Discussion?
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont see how it would fit into a webmaster forum.

The general forum would be the best place for general questions and subjects.
  • Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well as you can see not everything in this website is related to web subjects.... and not everything goes into general discussion
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

From what i see on the board every forum is related to the internet and more specifically web site building, any other topic would be in general.

Education would be to specific and to unrelated to have a forum all for its self, and hardly anybody would use it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Perhaps this will help. I was perhaps the first to ask for a networking board. I got a no on that, but it was asked again and the answer was still no. Over a rather short period of time I came to realize that it not only was not fitting for the intended purpose of this board, but also that most topics related to networking questions could fall easily within the *nix/Windows and hardware boards.

The idea of educational is a good one indeed, however, if you think ofhe name of this board "Webmaster Forum" and understand that we have the boards that cover in at least a generic aspect most angles of that, then the board truly has a spot for any "educational" post related to web design.

Anything other than educational questions would be most appropriate on a forum designed for schooling and educational help, or if prefered to be posted here, the general board is still fine.

I think it's important to realize that the focus of OZZU has been always geared toward the help and support of webmasters, designers, and developers and that is where we should keep our focus.

Sometimes specialty is needed and that is where and perhaps why we thrive as a community. In my humble opinion it is the best community I have found on the net to date and would find myself hard pressed to find another I like better.

I think you could probably expect that although this suggestion has wonderful merit it will probably not come to fruition here.
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I think it's important to realize that the focus of OZZU has been always geared toward the help and support of webmasters, designers, and developers and that is where we should keep our focus.

ATNO, what you just said fits in with what Dragon is saying. I am not a web designer. Not yet at least. I am in COLLEGE for it right now. a section about school info, jobs, scholarships, and the like would benefit me. i would call that support for an aspiring web designer.

what about the hardware section?? it is not directly related to webmasters. but its there and i find it very helpful sometimes.

read most of the posts in the Windows forum too. not too many have anything to do with webmaster problems. most of em are ppl like me who just need help. why not help me find a scholarship then??
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think ATNO concluded this. It dosnt look like its going to happen.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, my post is not a conclusion. Just an educated guess.
  • Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thus I don’t intend to change the way thou organize this forum, however I strongly believe an education forum to be highly beneficial for the future generation. As a fact I will no longer try to persuade, still think of the benefits the student community could have out of an education board.
Ozzu, I believe it as a great place to discuss, express and explain ideas, imagine how such a strong online society could an influence the way many believe of education.
Anyways, I believe I’m driving off the topic; it is my intent to demonstrate the need for education and everything that encounters it, thus why not administer a drop of water into the big sea?
Thank for taking the time to discuss the topic, but if an education board is indeed not approved by the majority, I might as well be looking into the wrong place.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Remember I'm speaking from my own opinion and not the gist of OZZU mods and Bigweb, because we never even discussed it.

It might work, it might not. I think the original intent of the Windows / linux boards and the hardware board was not necessarily what they have become, but rather a tool to aid webmasters with problems. At least that's the impression I got when I first was surfing around here.

It's hard for me not to think that an "educational" board would very quickly divert from support of webmasters into another relatively generic category. In essence that's the thoughts behind my comments.
  • Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is understandable, as a fact, there is not a direct relation between education itself and Webmasters... I agree...

However you already know my oppinion on the topic ATNO/TW, so why repeat it...

Thanks for all.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a good idea, Dragon. We'll see where it goes.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think this topic is intresting and would like to see what happens..
so can you tell us when we can expect a reply by big or one of the mods on this topic?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll put a post in the mod board on it later today. Bigweb and most of the mods have been quite busy lately, and a couple are out of town for a bit, so no time frame at the moment.
  • Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you ATNO/TW

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts