email update

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

The email address i used for recieving emails ceased to exist when my old web host ceased trading, as a result i knew i had to change my email address on Ozzu. I did this a few days ago, not even a day after the old host closed down their servers.

I was recieving emails notifying me of PM's and topic replies no problem until last night. I logged on today to see the notification stating that emails were not being sent to me as the email address wasn't recieving them. The email address i have now is my old Hotmail account which i've had for about 9 years now. When re submitting the "new" email address as the same Hotmail one the message went away.

Any idea on what the problem could be? If someone can PM me or reply to this thread or any other thread so i can find out if it is an issue with my Hotmail address or if it's an Ozzu error.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

must be an error with the site.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did it happen again after this thread? or did it work properly?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Everything is fine now.

Did i make sense with my original post? Wasn't sure if it read right or not.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting. I looked it up in the log and about 5:15 PM PDT yesterday is when your account was flagged. The error was:

Quote:
-removed-this-@craigc.co.uk R=dk_lookuphost defer (-1): host lookup did not complete
2009-10-29 17:15:52 1N2UU6-0003rm-40 ** -removed-this-@craigc.co.uk: retry timeout exceeded

The -removed-this- was the part before your @ that I removed so that spammers wouldn't pick it up. So it appears that you didn't change it in time before some emails went out. The server must have been trying for a few days and then finally gave up after 4 days and then returned the email to the bounce checker which finally disabled your account.

What this means though is that their is a bug in the script because by the time the bounce came back you actually had already updated your email address correct? You were already getting notifications since you changed your email address until this happened correct?

If that is the case I think the additional thing I need to check for is that the bouncing email actually matches the email address on the account, because if it doesn't that means you already updated it and then the bounced email should no longer be valid.

Hopefully this makes sense, please let me know if that sounds like what happened with regards to you changing your email.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
What this means though is that their is a bug in the script because by the time the bounce came back you actually had already updated your email address correct?

Correct.

bigwebmaster wrote:
You were already getting notifications since you changed your email address until this happened correct?

Correct.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I fixed this problem so it shouldn't happen again for anyone else. There is now a check to make sure the user didn't already update their email address.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts