exit.cgi - why, bigweb, why?

• rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why, bigweb, why do you have to have that exit.cgi thing. Whenever I right click on a link and choose "Save Link Target As" to download something I download exit.cgi instead (with the contents of the file I want to download). Verry annoying, because I have to go into DOS prompt to rename the dam thing.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you give an example of where this is not working like you want? I just tried and it works perfectly for me.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

BigWeb : I have a question about the exit.cgi too, does it pass along the original referrer URL?

I don't want to look in my logs to see exit.cgi as the referrer, and not be able to see exactly which posts people are coming to me from :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't get the exit.cgi either. Just tried two and both worked fine.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here:
http://www.ozzu.com/counter/exit.cgi?ht ... om/geo.wmv
(it may be because i'm using mozilla ( http://mozilla.org/ ) but I don't see the need for it (exit.cgi))
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjstephens wrote:
Here:
http://www.ozzu.com/counter/exit.cgi?ht ... om/geo.wmv
(it may be because i'm using mozilla ( http://mozilla.org/ ) but I don't see the need for it.

Where did that come from? I've never seen that! I'm almost willing to wonder if you have some adware proggie running you don't know about.

What you posted, I've never seen at OZZU.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

i got that link from the "sorry bigweb" thread.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see what you're saying...you got that from the "properties" on the "signature" links.

Finally just viewed the properties for the sig links, so I at least know what you are talking about. Not sure why that is like that though. Probably something bigweb did to track things would be my first guess.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

BWM must be tracking exit links, because they are on just about every link in here, even when you just type a link:

http://google.com
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Still when I click on that link and select save target as, it works perfectly fine for me and lets me save geo.wmv right to my computer. I am not sure why it isn't working for you. Does it work fine for everyone else?

As far as the links passing on the referrer, yes Axe it will not disrupt that and all referrers will still be tracked that goto anybody's site as the ref variable is still passed along through people's browsers. Feel free to test it by clicking on a link in your sig and going and checking your stats.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

download mozilla and try it. ( http://mozilla.org/ )
I think it is a mozilla specific problem, but I don't see why you would want to have that anyway.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just tried it and yup it is definetely a Mozilla problem. Mozilla appears to not open the link first to figure out the final destination unlike IE does. I recommend either using IE for links you want to download, or copy and paste the URL into your browser. We are using exit.cgi to track outbound links. For the most part you are not going to be right clicking on links and saving target as anyway.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okies, I tested it, just to confirm to everybody...

http://www.ozzu.com/counter/exit.cgi?http://www.gotaxe.com/stuff/reftest.php
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting lesson. I admit I didn't try Mozilla, but did the IE thing and only noticed what rjstephens was talking about when I viewed properties and saw where the exit was coming from.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now I see this one and clearly see the exit.cgi in the mouseover in the status bar.
http://www.ozzu.com/sutra40540.html#40540

Hadn't noticed that before and had to look at properties in the sig to see it.

(P.S. That's on IE...not Mozilla)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah but his problem isnt that ATNO/TW, his problem is when you try to save target as for one of the movie clips it wants to save it as exit.cgi instead of the movie. That problem appears to not exist in IE, but it does with Mozilla. With IE it redirects first before it saves the target as, so that it saves the right file to the desktop.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gottcha bigweb. Maybe that's one reason I still favor IE... I'd prefer to go Mozilla's way if they could just get it all together....
  • I, Brian
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • I, Brian
  • Loc: Yorkshire, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

How long has this script actually been implentted for?

2c here, but I think use of jump scripts and the like to cripple URLs is a pretty disreputatble practice. And we all know that the primary reason for it is to try to hoard PR.

There's plenty of discussion as to whether PR is even relevant in searches these days.

Remember, you always needed content as well as PR for PR to be useful - and this SEO isn't going to add to your content if you are going to be so inhospitable as to cripple backlinks. Sure, Sig links may not count for much, but a little is worth more than nothing. I guess we should let your site sponsors add to your content for you.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ozzu.com is a forum for webmasters to help each other. If you are using Ozzu.com primarily to spam your links and increase your PR, then this community is not for you. You are obviously here for the wrong reasons. I just went through a couple of your 16 total posts here at ozzu and now notice how you have sneaked links to your articles in a few of them. I really truly believe you are here for your own benefit, other than to share your experiences with others. Do not let the door kick you on the way out.

If you are counting on backlinks from forums to produce your PR, then you will likely not get far being a Search Engine Optimizer. Many forums disallow any kind of links in the signature including large forums like webmasterworld.com (I believe they disabled signatures all together).

(By the way, your www button link on the bottom of all your posts does not pass through exit.cgi)
  • I, Brian
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • I, Brian
  • Loc: Yorkshire, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heh, I would indeed be a poor SEO if I were to rely on sig links to prop up anything. :) And indeed, alas, I haven't been here much, but I didn't find this place until fairly recently.

Maybe a few forums don't allow signatures, but perhaps WMW simply got lucky. After all, where would it be without people like GoogleGuy?

Sig links are just a way that people can feel they are getting something back for their participation. Some people notice that.

I guess PR hoarding is just a pet peeve of mine - for others it's keyword spamming. Hence my comments.

Of course, how you run your own sites is entirely your business, not mine - as I'm sure you will agree.

But a word to the wise - don't put too much emphasis on PR - it's not the Holy Grail some people may think it is. :)

No offensive intended, and good luck anyway. You've certainly put a lot of effort into it. :)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I, Brian... you were the one who raised the topic of PR and emphasized it. BigWeb simply responded to your comments.

It has nothing to do with "PR Hoarding". He simply wants to know which of the outgoing links from HIS forum are the most popular (which he has every right to do) - If you believe he's "hoarding" PR then that implies you're only reason for being here is to get some of that PR by having posts here linking to your site(s).

Like BigWeb says, this ain't the forum for you. This is a privately owned & operated system. BigWeb can set any rules and configurations he likes. If people don't like that, then they are not forced to post here, it's no biggy to us.

Quality of users - and not quantity of users - is what is important to most of us here.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts