filter unread posts

• mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

It'd be nice to be able to search only the unread posts of a particular set of forum topics.

For instance, I'd like to be able to filter through my unread posts for all posts in the web design and development forum since that is what I specialize in and where I am of most use to the other members with questions. Is this something that could be implemented in a future update of the site?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

There aren't that many new posts where that option is needed, IMO.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

really depends on how often you log on. I sometimes don't have the time to get on more then once in a 2 week period and end up with 6 - 7 pages worth of unread posts to read through.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was thinking of "unanswered posts", which is what I use. I understand what you're saying now.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's actually been possible since at least around Ozzus' August 2009 Update. I don't think anyone realized the "Chose Displayed Forums" feature affects Unread Posts, but I just double checked and it does.

Click on Main Menu in the header to open the menu
Click on Control Panel within that menu so you're taken to the UCP
In the sidebar click on Board Preferences under the User Control Panel section
From the same area, click on Manage Displayed Forums
Select Hide for anything you don't want being included in the Unread Posts search

Alternatively you can use the following link to get right to the selection page -- ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=index
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

wouldn't that completely hide the forums I want to filter in my unread posts from being viewed at all? I mean, I still visit the other forums occassionally to ask questions, but it's extremely rare that I answer posts on the other forums. With this option, I'd have to go through each forum on the list and hide them, click on unread posts, read them, then go back to the preferences page, reset the forums to be displayed, and go about my business. Seems like overkill, why effect which forums are displayed globally when one would only want to effect which unread posts they wanted to see.

Maybe a simpler solution to implementing a filter would be a categorize option? Right now unread posts are sorted by date posted; maybe there could be ways to sort them by forum, date, person, or title?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It removes them from the forum listing at forums.html yes, but you can still get to them via the sidebar. So you could still get to them when you want to ask questions in them. :)
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

okay, awesome. I suppose that works then
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good deal. :D

Post Information