General Board

• WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside,California

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know this has been posted before but i would like to bring it up again.
I think the general board should be done away with or there should be a mod put into affect on how little you can type. I frequently visit the general board and get frustrated to see certain members get credit for posting stuff such as
Quote:
hi,...,cool,nice,sweet,

It to me is very frustrating to see this because some members actually make an attempt to post helpful stuff in other forums. Now somethings in the general forum are helpfull but silly little games and other stuff like
Quote:
i wish i had an attack of...

This is just silly and stupid. its not fair to see people getting away with posting one word and getting there post count up. sorry if im coming off like a jerk but its just not fair for the members who try or make an attempt to post legitimate help on this website.
Thank you for your time and understanding for all who read this.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

We are looking into ways of resolving this already. Thanks.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

We may be making it so the general forum and test forum do not count toward the post count at all in the future here.

We have been discussing this much lately so please bare with us.
  • WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank You Bigwebmaster and musik for clarifying this and understanding my frustration. i look foward to seeing this take place.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do the post cout really matter that much though?

Quote:
its not fair to see people getting away with posting one word and getting there post count up. sorry if im coming off like a jerk but its just not fair for the members who try or make an attempt to post legitimate help on this website.

Some of the most helpfull members have low posts couts. I dont go by a members post count to see how good they are. But the game topics can be done with General Discustion was made for what its name is "General Discustion", not games.
  • WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

No it doesn't its just simply not fair to the members that try and post helpful information that other members benefit from. how can members benefit from someone posting wow or cool or ... that does not help anyone and it is useless. and as noted its the "General Board" not the "Game Board".
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

The problem is that you cant make the whole general discussion forum not count towards your ranking, because there are the odd intellectual discussions that do go on where posting stats should be awarded. The solution would be to place a hack for individual topics, like the now gay word association, 3 word story etc... topics, so that posts in there count for nothing. Seems like a lot of work for nothing really. Like SpooF said, post counts dont really matter. You can tell who the good posters by the quality and consistency of their posts, and if needs be, review their previous posts to see if they're just racking up General Discussion points.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can see both sides of the discussion here, but to be honest i never really cared too much for post counts.

What is the point? It basically gives members another reason to start topics like "ooo its my 5000th post!" or something like that. I dont want to sound really incorrect here, as i appreciate when ATNO did his 10000th post one because it was a major milestone.

At the end of the day, i dont really see what the fuss is. The word association game is pointless (or not, if you think about it) but adds a bit of fun to this site.

I couldnt care less what happens, Ozzu is Ozzu. The people on here are decent people who know how to have a laugh and at the same time know how to respect people and their level of knowledge. As long as people dont leave because of this then everthing is cool here!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My 5000th and 10000th posts were about the only two times I ever looked at my post count. I couldn't even tell you what it is right now. Not only don't look at my own, I never look at anyone else's either. I wouldn't miss it if it was gone entirely. In fact somebody would probably have to tell me if it was no longer there. The concept of posting to increase your post count is beyond me.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

90% of the posts in general are useless and just simple bantar. Post counts removed in general wouldn't hurt anyone except the people that only post in general. the theory is that if you really want a good post count, then you should participate in the forums that matter most to OZZU. Helping people is why we're here, isn't it? Not to jack up a useless number.

It just makes no sense to think that post counts make you Image cooler Image

and

Image smarter. Image

because they don't. do they?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would have thought the quality of the information contained within the posts would be what makes you cool and smart ... perhaps thats just me though.
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only thing a post count does is show how much free time you have :D
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
We may be making it so the general forum and test forum do not count toward the post count at all in the future here.

I support that idea.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ive been a supporter of scrapping post counts completely on a lot of forums i post on.
Its just a number on the internet, it has no relivence to how much/well a person contributes to the forum.

Postcount envy is a terrible thing ;)
  • WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok even though this topic is probably done i need to clarify where most of my anger is. its with the members who join and only post in the general board and arnt any real help to anyone in this site as unflux and atno\tw previously said and post count really doesnt matter at all its just sad that people join and post in only the general board and dont really help anyone.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

darkermoon wrote:
Bigwebmaster wrote:

I support that idea.

i support that idea too
it dont matter to me how many post i have. if this happens the post count and post count ranking will going down big time
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

one more thing can you take it away from the "new" game forum
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

cowkiller wrote:
darkermoon wrote:
Bigwebmaster wrote:

I support that idea.

i support that idea too
it dont matter to me how many post i have. if this happens the post count and post count ranking will going down big time

I support that idea also. Alternatively, it would be interesting to see the breakdown of each posters counts in each of the major categories:

- General Topics
- Website Design & Development
- Operating Systems & Hardware
- Search Engines
- Extra

...and when you go to the memberlist, you can select those as 'sort method'

e.g.

Total posts (asis currently)
General Topics posts
Website Design & Development posts
etc...
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

IMO, post counts should not be listed on the left side of posts. The little "progress bar" could stay, sure, but numerical values are kind of irrelevant. Plus, removing them would save a few bytes of bandwidth :)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally I like to see post counts - it also makes moderating much easier, I don't really see what the problem is with it.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
Personally I like to see post counts - it also makes moderating much easier, I don't really see what the problem is with it.
Me too, it is especially useful for moderating the 'Website Reviews' forum.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post counts mean next to nothing. Its really not worth discussing. I would like to point out though, there was one time when i first joined Ozzu i was having problems installing a PHPbb forum onto my old host and i got approached by SSH-Raj with him offering me his help by letting him sign onto my Host to see what my problem was as it didnt seem to be getting solved any other way. Shortly after that offer (which was on the topic i started) ATNO/TW left a post saying that he trusts SSH-Raj to do a good job and not mess me about. I Trusted ATNO and SSH-Raj to log onto my host purely because of post count. I know this sounds pretty stupid, but i saw it as ATNO was obviously somebody who has posted enough (obviously good advice) and still remained a member on this website without being banned (i knew nothing about anybody at this point).

This is a poor reason why post counts should remain, but i found that it was helpful in trusting a member of whome i never knew until that point. Just thought i would post this.

At the end of the day, its just a number.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't worry - they won't go away. Only in the boards Bigweb already mentioned.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only problem I have with post counting is the lack of control with regard to content.

I could have a much higher count if I did not try to limit my nonsensical posts regarding my opinion of this or that instead of focusing on purely technical issues.

Yes, it bothers me at times I only have just over a grand. :) Heh.

Cheers.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another suggestion re: post counts. Would it be possible to - in each forum - to display both (a) the users number of posts in that forum, as well as (b) the total number of posts?

So for example if a user had 140 total posts and 23 were in 'Website Design Forum', 61 were in 'Programming Forum', etc... in each respective forum that users post count would be:

Posts: 23 (140) - when user appears in the 'Website Design Forum'
Posts: 61 (140) - when user appears in the 'Programming Forum'
etc...

Just another comment/suggestion :mrgreen:

BTW, UNFLUX - I love the Image :lol:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll step out on a limb and say you probably won't see a breakdown on post count per forum. It would take a mod to do it and I can't recall that I've ever seen one already written. In addition OZZU has a bunch of mods already. It makes updating the board difficult enough as it is. Having talked with Bigweb about this on many occaisions, I don't expect to see him make too many more changes until the next Major revision of phpBB.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts