Grammar on WEBMASTER FORUM--Attn masters

• gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
Thayk wrote:
but my argument is, it is not a furom if there is only one participating. because. just like when u say "College of Cardinals", "Herd of Buffalos", or "Surgeons Convention".

You dont say "College of Cardinal" or "Herd of Buffalo", etc.

Actually the correct way is "Herd of Buffalo" - So you just proved the others point. If you take a look here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... buffalo%22

You will see there are lots of articles that talk about "herd of buffalo" - To me it sounds really odd if you say "herd of buffalos" anyway. I never hear anyone speaking like this.

yer i think your right...he just proved himself wrong. it is herd of buffalo. it would sounds totaly wrong with an s on the end.
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

A-huh? Yes, your right guys. You cant find the word "Buffalos" in the dictionary because it is a misspelled plural form of "Buffalo". The correct spelling is "BUFFALOES".

So, have you tried searching the net with that word? try. and you will see the difference between the search results.

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl ... +Buffaloes

the topmost search results even returned a citation from bbc.co.uk. isn't it bbc an established de facto authority in english?

i find this scientific book much credible when it used "herd of buffaloes" in its tittle.
http://www.virtualcentre.org/en/Photos/ ... _id=216048

in fact, the word "herd of buffalo" is grammatically wrong. if you insist on using "buffalo" without "s", it shouldn't be rearranged to "BUFFALO HERD" to qualify as grammatically right....

may i add: if only numbers can be the basis for grammatical acceptability, you can compare the search results between the two searches

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl ... buffalo%22

versus

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl ... +buffaloes

1,350,000 returns for the former are much heftier than the 113,000 returns of the latter... but then again, we are not arguing grammar by the numbers here. we are talking about correct usage.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a trap ! :lol:
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is the million dollar question:

WHO GIVES A FLYING F*CK?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suppose this is what I have found most entertaining about this whole nonsensical post:

Thayk wrote:
But i have noticed (with my limited English grammar i learned from school here in a non-English speaking country)...

Therein lies the problem. I find it admirable that you are attempting to learn English grammar, and obviously trying to learn it well, but what I don't think you have caught onto is one of the unspoken rules of grammar in the English speaking world -- if it's a rule, it can and will be broken, and most often frequently.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
in fact, the word "herd of buffalo" is grammatically wrong. if you insist on using "buffalo" without "s", it should be rearranged to "BUFFALO HERD" to qualify as grammatically right....

Is that anything like a Forum of Webmasters ?
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, who reli cares. webmaster forum is right.
  • recep
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • recep
  • Loc: www.loanus.info

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
There are two correct alternatives.

forum is singular and one meaning can be " A medium of open discussion or voicing of ideas" which is exactly what OZZU is. Obviously it is categorized and divided into multiple sections. That said, it is nonetheless a forum. Hence the singular. If one were to use the term Webmaster's forum, that would imply forum of a single webmaster, whereas Webmasters' forum would imply forum of multiple webmasters. Neither are entirely accurate. It is a forum whose intent is to be used by a person that deems himself/herself a webmaster. In that respect Webmaster Forum is appropriate.

It could just as easily be made plural, however, the plural would contain no apostrophe and would be Webmasters Fora (you could say Forums and it would be acceptable, but the actual Latin plural is Fora.)

Of course, I have no idea if those thoughts even went through Bigweb's mind when he named the place. Bottom line it is Webmaster Forum, and I'm certain that's the way it will stay.

thaks..
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since this was brought up I would say Webmaster's Forum . A forum belonging to all Webmasters in the world who are free to join and be active :D

I still like the way it is right now though :D
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is this topic still on the go? :roll:
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago