Grammar on WEBMASTER FORUM--Attn masters

  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 480
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi moderators and forum masters,

This is just a not-so-sure query. But i have noticed (with my limited English grammar i learned from school here in a non-English speaking country) that the banner says OZZU WEBMASTER FORUM. isn't it WEBMASTER a collective modifier of FORUM as the main subject and therefore should be in plural form? so that it should read like OZZU WEBMASTERS' FORUM, or OZZU WEBMASTERS FORUM?....just asking my lords...

Correct me if i'm wrong. it's just a humble small matter ive raised
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • grinch2171
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6809
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well it is FORUM not FROM.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1615

Post 3+ Months Ago

As webmaster precedes forum it is fine to be in singular form.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13503
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll see your non-english-speaking-country grammer education, & raise you my slept through English class & never scored higher than a D.

What you've suggested would make the title suggestive of ownership.

What is there now, is descriptive of the resource it is a title for.


Gnome tom bout ?
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 480
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think i have only raised the matter to get your opinions, not insults....:)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13503
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Even if there was any insults here, aren't insults a matter of opinion anyways ? :scratchhead:
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1853

Post 3+ Months Ago

'Webmaster forum' is grammatically correct for the same reasons that we have 'television screen', 'computer cable', and 'golf course'.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23456
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are two correct alternatives.

forum is singular and one meaning can be " A medium of open discussion or voicing of ideas" which is exactly what OZZU is. Obviously it is categorized and divided into multiple sections. That said, it is nonetheless a forum. Hence the singular. If one were to use the term Webmaster's forum, that would imply forum of a single webmaster, whereas Webmasters' forum would imply forum of multiple webmasters. Neither are entirely accurate. It is a forum whose intent is to be used by a person that deems himself/herself a webmaster. In that respect Webmaster Forum is appropriate.

It could just as easily be made plural, however, the plural would contain no apostrophe and would be Webmasters Fora (you could say Forums and it would be acceptable, but the actual Latin plural is Fora.)

Of course, I have no idea if those thoughts even went through Bigweb's mind when he named the place. Bottom line it is Webmaster Forum, and I'm certain that's the way it will stay.
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 480
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

With all due respect, masters, my intentoion in raising this issue is to help the forum, even in those trivial things as web title. hope u dont get me wrong. i humbly ask for those ideas (as what fora should be). and with that brainstormsing, we may become a better institution.

My argument, masters, is that by defination of forum (a place for discusion, a medium for sharing of ideas) certainly denotes of many persons discussing something. in our case, it is the webmaster members of this forum getting together to express views and share ideas. i think no one can create a forum alone. you cant say its a college of cardinal, or physician convention, or lawyer meeting. it is a COLLEGE OF CARDINALS, PHYSICIANS CONVENTION or LAWYERS MEETING. and because by first glance it occur to me that there's something doubtful in reading the title, thus ive raised the issue.

but then again, as i say before, it is still a trivial matter and has nothing to do with webmastering, my apologies if i have created confussion.
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 709
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

the use of ' would reduce the chances of the site being found by search engines
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 480
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

the suggested word is WEBMASTERS FORUM.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1615

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bozebo wrote:
the use of ' would reduce the chances of the site being found by search engines


As we are talking about the banner (background image) that wouldn't really matter.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13503
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it aint broke;
  • bebsie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bebsie
  • Posts: 106
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

whatever... the yahoo search engine put this site on the first page of my organic search when i serached for Webmaster forum...
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 480
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think the right word is WEBMASTERS FORUM
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 322
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thayk wrote:
i think the right word is WEBMASTERS FORUM


it could be either webmaster forum or webmasters forum, but normally you woudl say webmaster, its just how it is done in english, i know that you are from a non-english speaking contry. this is bound to effect the way you veiw things. it is said that english is one of the hardest languages to understand. i also find it hard to understand some of the grammer and i am english and have lived in england all my life!
  • WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 284
  • Loc: Riverside,California

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would have to say webmasters forum
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2123

Post 3+ Months Ago

It doesn't make sense. Webmasters forum sounds dumb to me.

If one was to make it plural, it would have to be "Webmasters Forums"

BUT It is not plural, therefore, having webmasters as a plural and forum as a singular, does not make any sense what so ever.

Its been webmaster forum for 4 years almost, I don't see the problem.
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 322
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

yer i would agree with benat
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23456
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol this conversation is still going on? OK let's settle this.

Do a search at Google for webmaster forum. The first 15 pages of results, EVERY single one is either webmaster forum, or webmaster forums. Not once will you find webmaster's forum. (Oh and don't confuse the two results around page 6 Webmaster's Forum Calendar -- that is actually correct).

btw - did you happen to notice which webmaster forum has the top result?
Yep your favorite place -- OZZU

Now try searches with the apostrophe (both singular and plural). Nearly the identical results. <begin sarcastic voice>It's a shame all the webmasters are wrong</end sarcastic voice> *lol.

Bottom line as I said before, there's not a chance that it's going to change.
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 322
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

exactly... its fine how it is....
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1853

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thayk wrote:
i think the right word is WEBMASTERS FORUM


Um, we noticed that.
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 322
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sam Hughes wrote:
Thayk wrote:
i think the right word is WEBMASTERS FORUM


Um, we noticed that.


its not though...thanks the point! its webmaster forum. LOL.
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 480
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL, I think its time to consult a grammar police....

but my argument is, it is not a furom if there is only one participating. because. just like when u say "College of Cardinals", "Herd of Buffalos", or "Surgeons Convention".

You dont say "College of Cardinal" or "Herd of Buffalo", etc.

But then, maybe its time to consult a grammar police.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13503
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

What about a Bucket of Chicken ?
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 480
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think "chicken" in a "bucket of chicken" refers to a food which is not an entity or individual...
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 322
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol is this still going on.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 9090
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thayk wrote:
but my argument is, it is not a furom if there is only one participating. because. just like when u say "College of Cardinals", "Herd of Buffalos", or "Surgeons Convention".

You dont say "College of Cardinal" or "Herd of Buffalo", etc.


Actually the correct way is "Herd of Buffalo" - So you just proved the others point. If you take a look here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... buffalo%22

You will see there are lots of articles that talk about "herd of buffalo" - To me it sounds really odd if you say "herd of buffalos" anyway. I never hear anyone speaking like this.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13503
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thayk wrote:
I think "chicken" in a "bucket of chicken" refers to a food which is not an entity or individual...


Don't let my pet chicken hear you say that.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2123

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
Thayk wrote:
but my argument is, it is not a furom if there is only one participating. because. just like when u say "College of Cardinals", "Herd of Buffalos", or "Surgeons Convention".

You dont say "College of Cardinal" or "Herd of Buffalo", etc.


Actually the correct way is "Herd of Buffalo" - So you just proved the others point. If you take a look here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... buffalo%22

You will see there are lots of articles that talk about "herd of buffalo" - To me it sounds really odd if you say "herd of buffalos" anyway. I never hear anyone speaking like this.


Thats what I was about to say, I have never in my life heard "Herd of buffalos", Even fire fox is telling me Buffalos is wrong!

Why are you still arguing about this Thayk. English is one of the hardest languages to master and some things which may not sound correct to someone from a non english background, are in fact correct.

The simple fact of the matter is, I am a webmaster, not a webmasters, this is a forum, therefore this is a forum for me, and other people like me. Simple.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 41 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.