I hacked 3 sites and Microsoft Servers.

• GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3
  • Loc: I live in Virginia

Post 3+ Months Ago

HA! I knew that title would get you to click it, and if you are a Mod, you probably knocked your coffee over trying to get in here and lock this post lol. But yea my question is Why can't there be a hacking forum? I always tune my networking teacher out when he talks about cyber law, so is it illegal or something to tell someone how to circumvent software and security? Or do we all put on our "White hat" when it comes to Ozzu
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its not illegal to talk about circumnavigating security measures, but its illegal to do it.
And understandably OZZU wouldn't want to attract people interested in doing it.

Go to any security forum and see how many threads get locked because people just dont get what it's about.

Plus i dont really see how "hacking" would fit in with OZZU. It would be as out of place as a "we love britney" forum.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Meman, that is perhaps the best reply I have seen you make at OZZU. Thanks for saying it. Saves me the trouble.
  • GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe I misunderstand the word "Webmaster" or maybe misunderstand Ozzus' definition of a "Webmaster". What master do you know goes down a tunnel of knowledge, a master runs through a forest stopping at every tree and learning all about it.
  • reaper
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: europe

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe a section for discussing how to secure your website would be nice but not discussing the hacking techniques in detail how this circumvention can or would be achieved.

This kind of section would be interesting but for this a certain amount of people with hacking or cracking skills is needed and only tips could may be given to webmasters here to improve their security regarding defacement or other type of actions that can seriously damage your website.

It would be like inviting a ex-burglar to your house and letting him make an evaluation on your residence...he wouldn't have to tell you how he would be making advantages of your weaknesses but only how to improve your security so you have these weaknesses resolved in an effective manor or better manor then before.

But making a section on the forum for specificly discussing techniques how to circumvent security measures would be a mistake to have on this forum but having a section for improving or evaluating your website's security would be a good thing to have in my oppinion.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here are several definitions of Webmaster.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=de ... +webmaster

None of them mentions hacking. Like most forums they start out with one thing in mind, in this case Web design was probably the main focus but over time other forums developed because a demand was needed.

Hacking is one of those touchy taboo topics that people are interested in but don't necessarily want to be involved in. Creating that type of forum would invite a mess. There are plenty of sites dedicated to hacking and cracking. No need to start one here.
  • reaper
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
There are plenty of sites dedicated to hacking and cracking. No need to start one here.

You are absolutely right but a section as i described would in my oppinion be quite usefull.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Security I agree with. Security can cover a broad spectrum of topics such as websites, databases, servers, so on and so forth. And it doesn't necessarily need people with hacking/cracking experience, it needs people that are experienced in security. Sometimes those two are hand in hand. It would require the moderators to keep a very keen eye on the forum to ensure that hacking info wasn't being posted.
  • GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:

None of them mentions hacking. Like most forums they start out with one thing in mind, in this case Web design was probably the main focus but over time other forums developed because a demand was needed.

Hacking is one of those touchy taboo topics that people are interested in but don't necessarily want to be involved in. Creating that type of forum would invite a mess. There are plenty of sites dedicated to hacking and cracking. No need to start one here.

So that means that you follow one of those definitions?....No? What's that? You have your own definition? So wouldn't that make your argument irrelevant? Oh sorry you said you do follow one of those definitions, so that means at no time do you stray from that definition, must be boring.
  • GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3

Post 3+ Months Ago

but ok, I guess an Integration of Jinx and Ozzu is out of the question.

I was thinking....Jozzu or Ozzinx
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

While we appreciate the suggestion, there will be no hacking forums here. For the most part it attracts the wrong audience.
  • GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do sorta agree with that in a way, my college is going to be offering a course and they are actually going to call it a Hacking Course and I got into an argument with my teacher about how it would only attract stupid people that have no idea of what a computer was until movies like Sneakers and Hackers came out and that all intelligent people would be turned off by it just because of the name and he should just call it advanced network security and everytime he felt the urge to say hacking just say advanced security. Only thing cool about the school is that they will offer any course if enough people want it *prays for C++*

You know what's cool. Search engines see Cpp and C++ as the same thing.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

GeekSince3 wrote:
grinch2171 wrote:

So that means that you follow one of those definitions?....No? What's that? You have your own definition? So wouldn't that make your argument irrelevant? Oh sorry you said you do follow one of those definitions, so that means at no time do you stray from that definition, must be boring.

Actually, I am not a webmaster at all. I am a network/systems administrator. I have very limited knowledge when it comes to being a webmaster. Yes I can write html/xhtml by hand, yes I can set up a webserver using Apache or IIS and yes I know how to secure them. But in no way, shape or form do I consider myself a webmaster. That is why I only moderate the Windows and Hardware forum.

I just wanted you to know what the common definition of a webmaster was and I never said I followed one of those definitions.
  • GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:

Actually, I am not a webmaster at all. I am a network/systems administrator. I have very limited knowledge when it comes to being a webmaster. Yes I can write html/xhtml by hand, yes I can set up a webserver using Apache or IIS and yes I know how to secure them. But in no way, shape or form do I consider myself a webmaster. That is why I only moderate the Windows and Hardware forum.

I just wanted you to know what the common definition of a webmaster was and I never said I followed one of those definitions.

Are you a guy, because I swear that every time I have an argument with a girl I hear that last line.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

O. o. Methinks GeekSince3 just insulted a Marine! *sits back and waits for the fireworks...
  • GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Marines are cool, I was going to join but my ADD kicked in and I lost intrest.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
O. o. Methinks GeekSince3 just insulted a Marine! *sits back and waits for the fireworks...

I thought about starting some firewaorks but it is a waste of breath. If he wants to be childish he can. It is not my place as a moderator to be childish.

It's a good thing you lost interest GeekSince3, you would have probably been weeded out the first week of boot camp.
  • GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Doubt it. I may be a geek but I was also a Gymnast, Wrestler, and Football player, I have plenty of muscle and endurance. The only thing that would have gotten me kicked out is I may have tended to enjoy killing and I heard that you aren't supposed to.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

GeekSince3 wrote:
I may be a geek but I was also a Gymnast, Wrestler, and Football player

and this one time, at band camp.... ;)
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Arlo Guthrie wrote:
And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I
wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and
guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill,
KILL, KILL." And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and
he started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down
yelling, "KILL, KILL." And the sargent came over, pinned a medal on me,
sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."

Didn't feel too good about it.
  • GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was in band, but not band camp.
  • GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't be a psycho killer, you just wouldn't catch me crying over dead babies and women.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Me neither, kill'em all and let god sort'em out.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've heard that line somewhere before ;)
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

A song?

http://www.ram.org/th/tatp/kea.html
  • reaper
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok so a section for discussing hacking and cracking techiniques is out of the question, that is something i agree with for the full 100%.

But how about a section about securing our websites and servers?
Like me there are probably more people out here that maybe not aware from security issues regarding their php forms or server set up, etc.

It would be a good thing to get some pointers regarding this matter.
A section about websecurity in general where people can ask questions about their concers.
Also some people that can be appointed to as evaluators of website security.

Grinch2171 is a moderator here and earned the trust that comes with it...as he said so himself he has his fair knowledge about securing servers so therefor he would be a qualified person to get involved with this.

Offcourse if you would be interested in this grinch2171 :wink:
But there must also be others that have about the same status as grinch2171 that can also be involved with this.

And only specific people appointed to this matter would recieve url's from the people that wanted to evaluare their site security so that not every joe blow would try to do things to a persons server or site.

Just an idea 8) It would be nice to have such a section here so members wouldn't have to specificly go to other webdesigning sites for this matter, it would make things more complete.
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good idea reaper. I agree.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
But how about a section about securing our websites and servers?

There are already sections of Ozzu that cover these issues.

If you have a question about the physical aspects of a secure server, post in the hardware forum.

If you have a question about the server's software, post in Windows, Linux, or Hosting forums.

If you have a question about setting up secure PHP forms, etc, then post in the Programming/Scripting forum.
  • reaper
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

But how about appointing people to evluate the security?
  • GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3

Post 3+ Months Ago

So what you are asking for is a person to Pen test your site or server?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 34 posts