HELP! I'm getting dizzy!

• Garpster

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have just registered, confirmed my registration, posted a bio, done my first review, read "Rules for posting a website review" 6 TIMES, agreed 6 TIMES, but still I cannot Add a New Topic to the Website Reviews page to post my review as I keep looping back to the "Rules".

Why is that?
The Garpster
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well you obviously didn't read the "Rules for posting a website review" very good. What does the first sentence in rule #1 say?
  • Garpster

Post 3+ Months Ago

>Well you obiously didn't read the "Rules for posting a website review" very good.

Really? That was obvious to you, was it? (You MEANT "obvious", right?)

> What does the first sentence in rule #1 say?

Despite your cynical tone, hardly appropriate to greet a new registrant, I'd say, I'll tell you. It says...
"Rule 1: Please review at least three other sites first and give some constructive criticism regarding their site. Posting replies such as "looks good" or "nice site" will not satisfy the requirement. You must give them something to work with whether its positve feedback or negative feedback.

So, your point is?

I am trying to post a REVIEW.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
Well you obiously didn't read the "Rules for posting a website review" very good. What does the first sentence in rule #1 say?

I believe it is very well.
And it is spelled obviously.
Someone isn't using the spell check he tells people to use.
Finally I'm the one correcting You BigWebMaster!

:)
I'm just busting your chops!
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Garpster wrote:
>Well you obiously didn't read the "Rules for posting a website review" very good.

Really? That was obvious to you, was it? (You MEANT "obvious", right?)

> What does the first sentence in rule #1 say?

Despite your cynical tone, hardly appropriate to greet a new registrant, I'd say, I'll tell you. It says...
"Rule 1: Please review at least three other sites first and give some constructive criticism regarding their site. Posting replies such as "looks good" or "nice site" will not satisfy the requirement. You must give them something to work with whether its positve feedback or negative feedback.

So, your point is?

I am trying to post a REVIEW.

Yes you didn't read it very well. Let me highlight the KEYWORDS in the first sentence:

Quote:
Rule 1: Please review at least three other sites first and give some constructive criticism regarding their site.

Fixed the typo with regards to 'obvious'. For the most part you will not see me make that many spelling mistakes. Many people use the quick reply which has no spell checker. I am personally one of those who use the quick reply. The spell checker is intended for people who are aware that they do not know how to spell many words and are constantly having problems there. It is the ones who are constantly misspelling every other word that gets to us because it makes it difficult for other members to read.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster, what about your major grammer mistake? That would cost you some points in English.
  • Garpster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Busting my chops, eh?

Fair enough, s'long as you get the job done, Mr. Bigwebmaster, and right now I'm still looking for some relief to my dizziness.

>>Rule 1: Please review at least three other sites first and give some constructive criticism regarding their site.

Luckily I wrote and saved the somewhat comprehensive one that I have done, otherwise I would have surely forgotten it all by now, what with my dizziness, and all. So, can I not post my reviews as they are completed?

How does your site know if I have 1 review in the can, or 3?

>Fixed the typo with regards to 'obvious'.
Uh huh. I noticed. :-) Luckily (for me) I'm British, so I have an internal spellchecker. :D
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Garpster, you came in here with the wrong tone. If you want anyone to listen to you and help you I suggest you calm down and post more clearly. You need to post your reviews as a reply to an existing topic.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Garpster wrote:
Busting my chops, eh?

Fair enough, s'long as you get the job done, Mr. Bigwebmaster, and right now I'm still looking for some relief to my dizziness.

BWM has been "getting the job done" for quite some time, though I am sure he appreciates your enthusiasm.

Incidentally, the "busting your chops" quote was directed towards BWM, not you.

Garpster wrote:

>>Rule 1: Please review at least three other sites first and give some constructive criticism regarding their site.

Luckily I wrote and saved the somewhat comprehensive one that I have done, otherwise I would have surely forgotten it all by now, what with my dizziness, and all. So, can I not post my reviews as they are completed?

How does your site know if I have 1 review in the can, or 3?

The system does, in fact, function properly; the mechanics of which are completely irrelevant to the end user. Though, considering your level of "dizziness" I feel compelled to aid you in this, your time of need.

Press the "Post Reply" button, rather than the "New Topic" option and oddly enough you'll be presented with the appropriate input screen.

Garpster wrote:

Uh huh. I noticed. :-) Luckily (for me) I'm British, so I have an internal spellchecker. :D

I for one, will sleep better at night having been provided that tidbit of information.

Cheers.
  • Garpster

Post 3+ Months Ago

>>Garpster, you came in here with the wrong tone. If you want anyone to listen to you and help you I suggest you calm down and post more clearly.

You are right. Please excuse my brashness. :oops:

>> You need to post your reviews as a reply to an existing topic.
Ah HAH! THAT's the piece of information I was looking for. Thank you.

and...

>>>BWM has been "getting the job done" for quite some time, though I am sure he appreciates your enthusiasm.

:-)

>>>Incidentally, the "busting your chops" quote was directed towards BWM, not you.

Oh, gottit. That's alright then. :twisted:

>>>The system does, in fact, function properly; the mechanics of which are completely irrelevant to the end user. Though, considering your level of "dizziness" I feel compelled to aid you in this, your time of need.

>>>Press the "Post Reply" button, rather than the "New Topic" option and oddly enough you'll be presented with the appropriate input screen.

Again, thank you for that simple, but integral piece of information. Pity BWM couldn't have been as succinct.

Garpster wrote:

>>>I for one, will sleep better at night having been provided that tidbit of information.

I see I have landed amongst quite a lively bunch! Now let's see if I can gain the respect I apparently lost upon my arrival.

Cheers
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Garpster wrote:

>>>BWM has been "getting the job done" for quite some time, though I am sure he appreciates your enthusiasm.

:-)

>>>Incidentally, the "busting your chops" quote was directed towards BWM, not you.

I am overwhelmed with joy that you approve.

Garpster wrote:

>>>The system does, in fact, function properly; the mechanics of which are completely irrelevant to the end user. Though, considering your level of "dizziness" I feel compelled to aid you in this, your time of need.

>>>Press the "Post Reply" button, rather than the "New Topic" option and oddly enough you'll be presented with the appropriate input screen.

Again, thank you for that simple, but integral piece of information. Pity BWM couldn't have been as succinct.

Actually, BWM response was more succinct than my own, if you define succinct as "marked by compact precise expression without wasted words". He pointed you to an article which defined the rules; a precise response to your -- and I quote, "... but still I cannot Add a New Topic ..." query.

Neither he nor anyone else at that point in time understood your dilemma until further information was provided (RE: the complete lack of comprehension surrounding the issue of the two differing "buttons"). Information that might not have been, had BWM not responded as he did, thus prompting the self-righteous response.

Garpster wrote:

>>>I for one, will sleep better at night having been provided that tidbit of information.

I see I have landed amongst quite a lively bunch! Now let's see if I can gain the respect I apparently lost upon my arrival.

Cheers

That would be a feat to behold.

As an aside, you may wish to learn the 'quoting' function to more clearly delineate the quoted text from your own. Pressing "Quote" in the top-most right-hand corner of the post, provides you with the entirety of the original post within quoting brackets.

Makes things easier to read; something I am sure someone of your vast intellect would appreciate.

Cheers.
  • Garpster

Post 3+ Months Ago

[/quote]

>>>>I am overwhelmed with joy that you approve.
Phew, thank heavens for that. For a minute I thought you'd NEVER be happy.

>> Again, thank you for that simple, but integral piece of information. Pity BWM couldn't have been as succinct.

>>>>Actually, BWM response was more succinct than my own, if you define succinct as "marked by compact precise expression without wasted words".

Precisely.

>>>>Neither he nor anyone else at that point in time understood your dilemma until further information was provided (RE: the complete lack of comprehension surrounding the issue of the two differing "buttons"). Information that might not have been, had BWM not responded as he did, thus prompting the self-righteous response.

Oh, right. Gottit. You sure have a way with words, huh?

>>> I see I have landed amongst quite a lively bunch! Now let's see if I can gain the respect I apparently lost upon my arrival.

>>>> That would be a feat to behold.

Sigh.

>>>> As an aside, you may wish to learn the 'quoting' function to more clearly delineate the quoted text from your own. Pressing "Quote" in the top-most right-hand corner of the post, provides you with the entirety of the original post within quoting brackets.

>>>> Makes things easier to read; something I am sure someone of your vast intellect would appreciate.

How right you are. And how VERY nice of you to say so.

Please stay safe and dry, Daemonguy.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Garpster wrote:

>>>>I am overwhelmed with joy that you approve.
Phew, thank heavens for that. For a minute I thought you'd NEVER be happy.

You stand as a shining beacon in an otherwise dark and dreary existence; why should I not be thrilled by your benediction?

Garpster wrote:

>>>>Neither he nor anyone else at that point in time understood your dilemma until further information was provided (RE: the complete lack of comprehension surrounding the issue of the two differing "buttons"). Information that might not have been, had BWM not responded as he did, thus prompting the self-righteous response.

Oh, right. Gottit. You sure have a way with words, huh?

Quite.

Garpster wrote:

>>>> As an aside, you may wish to learn the 'quoting' function to more clearly delineate the quoted text from your own. Pressing "Quote" in the top-most right-hand corner of the post, provides you with the entirety of the original post within quoting brackets.

>>>> Makes things easier to read; something I am sure someone of your vast intellect would appreciate.

How right you are. And how VERY nice of you to say so.

It appears the understanding of the "Quote" function and its use eludes you still, so again I feel obliged to attempt some tutelage… realizing of course the degree of difficulty involved might prove monolithic.

You Press the "Quote" button, which appears in the upper right-hand corner of the message you wish to illustrate. The response window appears and thankfully for we lesser mortals, is 'pre-quoted'.

The next part may be difficult, so I suggest bringing forth a vicar, a Scotsman (clad in kilt) and a first-grade teacher.

Type your response above or below the quoted text.

Perhaps in our next lesson, we’ll discuss splitting quotations.

Garpster wrote:

Please stay safe and dry, Daemonguy.

Your concern for my well-being is overwhelming.
  • Garpster

Post 3+ Months Ago

>> You stand as a shining beacon in an otherwise dark and dreary existence; why should I not be thrilled by your benediction?

Quite.

>> It appears the understanding of the "Quote" function and its use eludes you still, so again I feel obliged to attempt some tutelage… realizing of course the degree of difficulty involved might prove monolithic.

"monolithic"? Wasn't that the thing in "2001 A Space Odyssey"? Lets have a look.... monocotyledon... monoecies... ah!

monolithic adj.
1. Characterized by massiveness and rigidity and total uniformity.

Could you have meant maybe "monumental - of outstanding significance"? I don't know. Beats me. You crazy pre-pubies keep changing the words on us old folks, it's difficult to keep up. :-(

>> You Press the "Quote" button, which appears in the upper right-hand corner of the message you wish to illustrate. The response window appears and thankfully for we lesser mortals, is 'pre-quoted'.

>> The next part may be difficult, so I suggest bringing forth a vicar, a Scotsman (clad in kilt) and a first-grade teacher.

>> Type your response above or below the quoted text.

Ooops, I'm sorry. I was doing a review in another window.

>> Perhaps in our next lesson, we’ll discuss splitting quotations.

Yes, yes! Let's. That sounds like so much fun!

But right now, unfortunately, I have to go and take care of that tiresome Arab/Israeli disagreement.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Garpster wrote:
>> It appears the understanding of the "Quote" function and its use eludes you still, so again I feel obliged to attempt some tutelage… realizing of course the degree of difficulty involved might prove monolithic.

"monolithic"? Wasn't that the thing in "2001 A Space Odyssey"? Lets have a look.... monocotyledon... monoecies... ah!

monolithic adj.
1. Characterized by massiveness and rigidity and total uniformity.

Could you have meant maybe "monumental - of outstanding significance"? I don't know. Beats me. You crazy pre-pubies keep changing the words on us old folks, it's difficult to keep up. :-(

I am quite sure I meant monolithic;
Merriam-Webster wrote:
Main Entry: mono·lith·ic
Pronunciation: "mä-n&l-'i-thik
Function: adjective
1 a : of, relating to, or resembling a monolith : HUGE, MASSIVE

Relating to "monolithic", as defined;
Merriam-Webster wrote:
Main Entry: mono·lith
Pronunciation: 'mä-n&l-"ith
Function: noun
Etymology: French monolithe, from monolithe consisting of a single stone, from Latin monolithus, from Greek monolithos, from mon- + lithos stone
1 : a single great stone often in the form of an obelisk or column
2 : a massive structure

Using the second definition, of course. To clarify my meaning of the word "structure";
Merriam-Webster wrote:
Main Entry: 1struc·ture
Pronunciation: 'str&k-ch&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin structura, from structus, past participle of struere to heap up, build -- more at STREW
1 : the action of building : CONSTRUCTION
2 a : something (as a building) that is constructed b : something arranged in a definite pattern of organization <a rigid totalitarian structure -- J. L. Hess> <leaves and other plant structures>
3 : manner of construction : MAKEUP <Gothic in structure>
4 a : the arrangement of particles or parts in a substance or body <soil structure> <molecular structure> b : organization of parts as dominated by the general character of the whole <economic structure> <personality structure>
5 : the aggregate of elements of an entity in their relationships to each other

My favorite is quite possibly the final entry.

Garpster wrote:
>> You Press the "Quote" button, which appears in the upper right-hand corner of the message you wish to illustrate. The response window appears and thankfully for we lesser mortals, is 'pre-quoted'.

>> The next part may be difficult, so I suggest bringing forth a vicar, a Scotsman (clad in kilt) and a first-grade teacher.

>> Type your response above or below the quoted text.

Ooops, I'm sorry. I was doing a review in another window.

Is that what it's called?

Garpster wrote:
>> Perhaps in our next lesson, we’ll discuss splitting quotations.

Yes, yes! Let's. That sounds like so much fun!

Easy Sparky, let's not get ahead of ourselves; crawl before you walk.

Garpster wrote:
But right now, unfortunately, I have to go and take care of that tiresome Arab/Israeli disagreement.

Frankly, I think a visit from your omnipotence would do wonders. Perhaps a tour of the region? I'll furnish the tickets, though, from Mexico it might take a few hops.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK guys... hate to end it while it's still fun, but enough is enough.
Garpster, nice to have you here in spite of the interesting introduction.

Daemonguy, sorry to cut you short, but you know as well as I do it's time to stop.

It definitely was a fun read though.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts