How about DB Discussion, XML DB, XML ...

• andrushok
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dear Moderators
How about DB Discussion? Of course, you are rigth, we can find maaaaaaaaaaaany DB forums in Internet. They are for DB experts and DB newbies. Thay are for any databases. ETC. However the WebDesign/WebProgramming is a bit specific, when you decide to use a database for storing some data. DB perfomance, partitioning, scaleable become the significant thing there.
By the way, how about XML databases? This is a new technogy. XML DB is not perfect now, I agreed. We can find many open source XML databases in internet and try them for our purposes.
And how about XML at all? It is easiest way for formatting/serialiazation data. Does sombody use XML for data transfering? It is platform independable. I use DB and XML. I am looking for XML DB for my future applications. I am really interested in this theme. How about you?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

This would probably fit best under programming.

PS. Moved this to comments.
  • Rogue Forces
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Kentucky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have worked with XML OODBMS and RDBMS for a little over four years and would be interested in discussing more about this as well.

For a small application, XML Databases are the way to go, however it is necessary to have some sort of database server as well due to the fact that eventually there is going to be a need to deal with a legacy application somewhere along the line.

I am currently working on an enterprise Java project that utilizes SAX 2.0, the Apache Xerces XML parser, Oracle 10g and SQL Server 2000 as well as the java.sql classes. The project involves migrating an existing relational database from SQLSRVR to Oracle10g. Through the migration process, XML files and XSL templates are created on the fly to reflect the data structure, then parsed via SAX and Xerces and moved over to Oracle10g. However, the XML files remain intact and anytime a change is made to the Oracle database, it is reflected in the dynamically created XML documents and corresponding XSL templates. This way we have both the RDBMS and the OODBMS at our fingertips. The XML DB's are useful when handing out data to partner corporations as they do not compromise security.

Just a side note, XML OODBMS is not a "new technology" per se, but has recently received a the IT spotlight due to the widespread use and platform independence. I am excited about the future of this as well. I hope to hear more about your exploration with this venture.

Take care,
John
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer wrote:
This would probably fit best under programming.

PS. Moved this to comments.

Just to clarify that...This kind of converstaion would fit best in that forum.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I kind of hear what he is saying, though. I think the general gist of what the programming board is there for, is to assist webdesigners in coding issues related to web design. By the very nature of it, this is going to encompass some database discussion.

However, I am inclined to favor this idea myself. As I slowly learn more, I see there is much to learn and discuss about database design and development and application design and development, which can be at times closely associated with web development, but also useful for stand alone applications and intranet development.

I could see the need for this and think that a seperate forum for application, database design and development may be a well-used part of OZZU. I have already seen more and more topics that would neatly fall into that topic area.

I'll go with the flow, but that's my 2 cents on it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts