Ideas for "Main menu"

• sava
  • sava

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

Sometimes a picture says more than 1000 words. Please find out my attachments to see my ideas for better menus.
NOTE: The bar will always be "on top" of content, will not be scrolled by scroll bar.

Direct links:
http://img529.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ozzu1.jpg
http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ozzu2.jpg

Regards
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Sava,

I think you have an interesting idea, I like it. That could be something where a quick link section could go for links that are used often such as "View unread posts", logging in and out, etc.

Thanks for the feedback, and the picture helped alot. Would have been harder to describe I think ;)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually chief, that's really quite similar to what places like Facebook are doing. They have that App menu at the bottom which is a lot like those images.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just going to comment on the comparison to Facebook. I have mixed feelings about it, although I wouldn't mind trying it out for a while.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hrmm, yes, but is it really appropriate for a forum site such as this? IMHO, I don't use the search too often, and I can't see that the other options are something I would need often enough that I can't scroll up.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think if I were to do something like that it would be an optional bar that you could enable in the control panel and it would allow you to put whatever links on it that you use most often. Plus I think I would make different kind of bars, ones that simply stay above the header, or free floating ones like on facebook that always stay at the bottom of your screen.

I have also thought about this idea for the sidebar menu on the right as well, making the first box a section where you can put whatever commmon links that you use most often instead of it being set by me.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

[thumbs up] I like it ^_^
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
[thumbsup] I like it ^_^

:thumbsup:
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very very pleased this is being considered. Great idea and one i'm giving my full support too.

I actually very much like the kind of application software sites like facebook use and in a way i can see this being implimented on Ozzu in a funny way, i mean not initially applioations as such but the more freedom users have to the layout of the page.

Take for example the bbc website, it is fully customisable which makes it more appealing for those who don't like a site a certain way. Ozzu is by no means anything like that but it is taking steps towards being even more user friendly. Something i'm sure everyone appreciates/

Looks like the "facebook style" option bar could be somewhere you can put your light/dark theme toggle bar Brian? :lol:
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, by the way. If you want to continue to please me then bin the test forum.

I still don't know what the point of it is. Since i joined the site nearly 5 years ago it has confused me, and despite growing older i haven't matured to the idea of it yet.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm still happy the unread posts link is on top now. :D
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
I'm still happy the unread posts link is on top now. :D

On that note, could we consider getting a 'mark all as read' and pagination copied up to the top of threads as well? With our setup, we click, scroll, and then go where we want if we dont think to click the page from the forum list...

Seems like these may have been things we've had in the past? Can't remember, so pardon if there's a reason we eliminated them if they had existed. :)
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
On that note, could we consider getting ... pagination copied up to the top of threads as well? With our setup, we click, scroll, and then go where we want if we dont think to click the page from the forum list...

I fully agree with this.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

*chuckles to myself. I can't even count the number of times I told him that when he was planning out this design. Ditto the above.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm willing to bet it's not as high as the number of times I've thought I was losing my mind going from topic pages to the MCP and looking for the pagination. It's on top, but not on the bottom in there.
  • sava
  • sava

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all,

Firstly wanna thank all of you for your comments. Want to clear something, I said (Ideas for "Main menu") not a must to do ideas exactly as I said & designed. I think the most of web designers here got my point with the dummy icons & menus.

The ideas are hard to describe as "Bigwebmaster" said. Specially for me, my English is very bad.

Anyway, this bar can be used for many things, like (login & register) or/and others menu. Can be used by a more pro way, some additional that get the users rights to add theirs menus in this area.

For webmaster :wink: can be used to earn more money by adding text links.

Anyway thank you all for your replying for my first support post to this forum.
Hey "Bigwebmaster" may I get the gold membership? :twisted:

Have a nice day
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

sava wrote:
Hey "Bigwebmaster" may I get the gold membership? :twisted:

Actually I just started a topic (which you have probably read by now I think) which allows any member to be a part of the special teams which has all the benefits of a Gold Membership without having to pay anything:

announcements/looking-for-members-help-ozzu-t96931.html

If there is something there you think you could help out on post to that thread.

Also again I appreciate your ideas with the menu bar, I really enjoy feedback from others because it gives me lots of good ideas on how I can continue to improve the Ozzu interface.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could do something like the following.

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/omnislide/index.htm

Or something like this but have the top scroll with the window... a bit more space for more links :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts