iPhone app

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

BWM, have you considered creating an iPhone app for ozzu?

Might be good to create it as more of a shortcut to the site with there being a tab on bottom to navigate to headlining page etc.

Thoughts?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes I have actually thought about this and even looked into it awhile back. The problem for me is this:

To program and iPhone app you have to be using a Macintosh computer unfortunately. Secondly you have to pay for some kind of fee upfront to be able to get the developer tools.

What that means is that I will have to either pay a company to have a solution made, or see if we can hold some kind of competition here where someone can try to make one. Before I do any of that though, I would most likely need to make available some kind of API to give access to the backend system on ozzu so that the information would be available to developers without actually having full access to the system. I think twitter and facebook do things like that as well and it opens up a whole range of applications that can be made.

You can see the iphone developer center here:

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/
http://developer.apple.com/iphone/program/

Here are the prices to even participate:

Standard Program $99
Enterprise Program $299

and that is not counting having the Macintosh hardware in place. If I could create these apps on a Windows machine I would pay those fees and do it, but having to pay the above as well as buying a MAC is much more than I was hoping to be able to build an app for the iPhone.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it would be better to work out a minimal style available only to logged in members that catered to iPhones and other devices with similar screen sizes such as Google phones and Blackberrys.

320x480 pixel screens seem to be the standard resolution, though I haven't looked too far into it.

An appliance-specific app will only work on the appliance it's built for.

The iPhone has something similar to a Favicon called "apple-touch-icon" for placing icons on the iPhone "desktop".
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
and that is not counting having the Macintosh hardware in place. If I could create these apps on a Windows machine I would pay those fees and do it, but having to pay the above as well as buying a MAC is much more than I was hoping to be able to build an app for the iPhone.

Didn't UNFLUX go Mac awhile ago ?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, but he has little to no programming knowledge. All of his skills are in designing web pages, themes, and graphics. I would love to have an app for the iphone and may look into something in the future to give members a chance to create one once I have some sort of API in place.

I do plan on making a version of ozzu that caters to the mobile phone resolutions which means ozzu would be more in a vertical format with a more simplistic design. That is something on the todo list, but not for this next version of ozzu which I will hopefully be going live soon with.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
Yes, but he has little to no programming knowledge. All of his skills are in designing web pages, themes, and graphics. I would love to have an app for the iphone and may look into something in the future to give members a chance to create one once I have some sort of API in place.

I do plan on making a version of ozzu that caters to the mobile phone resolutions which means ozzu would be more in a vertical format with a more simplistic design. That is something on the todo list, but not for this next version of ozzu which I will hopefully be going live soon with.

How about creating a poll asking who wants an iPhone App... that would tell you how many board users actually [use OZZU on their iPhone (Or would] prefer to)... I was going to somehow tie this with the word 'donations', but I'm not sure how...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok ok ok... that was a bad idea... but I think that this might be a good idea...
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats interesting. The only thing I don't care for with that is it requires the client to pay about $3 to get their app. Would be much nicer if it was free. This is all something I will look into for the future, I haven't ruled anything out.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
Thats interesting. The only thing I don't care for with that is it requires the client to pay about $3 to get their app. Would be much nicer if it was free. This is all something I will look into for the future, I haven't ruled anything out.

Nothing good is free.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I beg to differ, the iphone app Shazam is free and it is probably the best i have found so far.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts