[ SUGGESTION ] - IRC Channel

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sometimes people require answers "On the spot" or are on a tight time limit.

Has the idea of an OZZU IRC Channel been looked at ?

It may not be viable I don't know, it just crossed my mind and wondered if it could happen if there was enough interest ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

The idea has been pitched many many times by other users but we don't think it would be a good idea in the long run as it will decrease ppl from posting on the site and everyone just using the irc all the time. Something of course we're trying to avoid.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fair enough.

Hadn't relised its been posted before otherwise I wouldnt have bothered [ obviously ].
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

613flavah wrote:
The idea has been pitched many many times by other users but we don't think it would be a good idea in the long run as it will decrease ppl from posting on the site and everyone just using the irc all the time. Something of course we're trying to avoid.

Couldn't agree more. I woiuld prefer questions and their resolutions to remain here for all to use, rater than having potentially very useful information 'lost' on an IRC channel.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

lionking wrote:
613flavah wrote:

Couldn't agree more. I woiuld prefer questions and their resolutions to remain here for all to use, rater than having potentially very useful information 'lost' on an IRC channel.

I wasn't proposing that the forum be completely ignored. I was suggesting that it could be a good idea for those members who are in a rush [ for whatever reason ] & require an answer quicker than the Ozzu forum threads can provide.

In no way could an IRC channel replace a forum mainly for the reason you posted. The knowledge contained within.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

IRC channels would be a bad way to get help. The questioneer would accept the response of whoever answers first. What if that person is wrong? Forums are good because they give enough time for bad answers to get refuted.

If you want an IRC channel, nothing's stopping you from starting one yourself.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sam Hughes wrote:
IRC channels would be a bad way to get help. The questioneer would accept the response of whoever answers first. What if that person is wrong? Forums are good because they give enough time for bad answers to get refuted.

If you want an IRC channel, nothing's stopping you from starting one yourself.

I don't want one, I was just making a simple suggestion.

The other side to your argument would be that the first person to answer knows what they are talking about and the questioner has their problem solved quicker than waiting on a forum.

There is always two sides to an argument.

It makes no difference to me whether Ozzu does get an IRC channel, I personaly wouldn't use it. I made the suggestion thinking of others.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enigma - your suggestion is appreciated, but as Flavah pointed out, this has been suggested and decided already a long time ago and it just isn't going to happen here for reasons specifically noted by several posters. (In fact, I was the first to suggest it as well as the first to agree that it wasn't such a good idea for here.)

Here's the original conversation on it, if you're interested:
http://www.ozzu.com/suggestions-comments/chat-hack-t1432.html

Thanks though.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Enigma - your suggestion is appreciated, but as Flavah pointed out, this has been suggested and decided already a long time ago and it just isn't going to happen here for reasons specifically noted by several posters. (In fact, I was the first to suggest it as well as the first to agree that it wasn't such a good idea for here.)

Here's the original conversation on it, if you're interested:
http://www.ozzu.com/suggestions-comments/chat-hack-t1432.html

Thanks though.

My last few posts were not supposed to sound as if I was pushing the post further, if thats the impression you got then I apologise.

I was merely pointing out the other side of the coin to those who continued to post. Just nice to have both sides of an argument.

Its already been thought of and rejected so as I said in my response to what 613flavah posted, fair enough.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Understood. Just wanted to give an alternate explanation as to why.

Cheers
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

For clarification, using the first provided answer under the auspices that the "person must know what they are talking about" is incredibly naive.

As many times as I have seen correct responses immediately pursuant to a query, I have also witnessed irresponsible and reprehensible postings containing nothing but blather and rhetoric in the extreme.

At least in a forum, there could potentially exist those that *correct* such grievous errors thereby offering a counter-point that will undoubtedly be agreed upon by the more informed masses.

Generally accepted -- while far from perfect -- is a better methodology than 'first come', IMHO.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts