IRC Server?

• XP3RIMENT
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: HE HADA 3HAT'

Post 3+ Months Ago

:idea: OK. I think this is a great Idea. Lemmi know what u think.

We could create a chat (IRC) server if anyone has a shell account or cable internet to keep it running 24/7. I know how and all the Details/Software for managment. It would be easy and sufficient for users to log on and share theyre ideas quickly and safely. I'm sure some of you know how to create Java chats. this is just a sample one that i'm always on irc.netruss.org port 6667 http://www.netruss.com/chat/russian.html
So what do you think?...has any of you come up with this idea before?
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, do a search in our suggestion board for IRC or chat. It's a no-go here for obvious reasons once you read.
  • aeon
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
2. it's going to use a lot more bandwidth than it already does

not necessarily true, it doesn't have to be on your own server, you could use something like tdd or freenode.

Quote:
1. the forum itself could end up being used less

usually when i join my irc channel I'll join all of the other channels on the server (back to poiny 1), and most people tend to do the same, you'll see the same people idleing in all of the channels, you could look at it as a form of advertising. Besides irc is just used for general discussion much like this forum.

I'm not sure if you've noticed but there are people on this forum who have over a thousand posts, and 80% of which are in the off topic forum, that really isn't contributing anything to your forum, it's just wasting your bandwidth, IMO irc is the place for off-topic discussion, word-association games etc.
  • XP3RIMENT
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with aeon..
  • XP3RIMENT
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I just searched all the suggestions and reasons for/against it. But it all comes down to this:
Problem:
Quote:
I would have to tend to be on Unflux's side on this one. I think the main reason I would probably go against having a chat is that the forum might be used less, which means less pages to help other people, which means less inbound searching traffic as well to help increase more members to the board (which will overall help others).

That is why when people usually PM me for help on something, I tell them to post to the board so that it will benefit others as well.
--posted by bigwebmaster
Possible Solution?:
Quote:
a script could do that
log every thing in to a doc for me and i upload the doc now and then
-- posted by NIghtmare
Also the bandwith problems are easily solved with separate server as suggested by aeon above and mirc scripts that do not use the webpage/java chat to connect to those servers. All this is free stuff.
If you decide this isnt good , then oh well, But i thik it should be good...
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the mission of Ozzu works fine on the bulletin board system, along with PMs when needed. There is just no need for an IRC server. No matter how negligible, it would be more work, more money, more of a pain. Ozzu is not a chat site, we do not need a chat room.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

IRC costs money to use, the forum is free to all users. who wants to pay for help they can get for free?

Thats another reason
  • XP3RIMENT
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I could provide most , perhaps all of the software for free , the only cost would be the actuall shell account or similar.
If not Server , we can set up our room on any of the servers that already exist.That would be totally free...just an idea.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster doesn't want it, the mods don't want it, it is not going to happen.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts