jobs forum

• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

perhaps change the persmissions of the jobs forum, change it so registered members can create threads but not reply, and only mod's can then reply.

i see lots of posts by mods asking people not to reply in the thread.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

People are actually allowed to reply in the topic. If they have a question relating to the position which would be of interest to other users as well.

It is when people post and give their information for the employer to contact them that they are asked to PM the job poster as per the rules they agree to use that section of the forum.

The problem is hardly anyone bothers to read the rules of the forum so you get people replying with

'I can do it for free'

'email me at joeblo@...com'

etc
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeh, thats understandable... but if people were interested, they could just pm the user and get all the information they need.

It may be global information which people need, but the original poster can edit his/her's thread....

can they?... im not sure lol, if the permissions are changed im not sure if they can
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

true, but wouldnt it be of more benefit for all sides if most of the info was posted about the job and then you can PM them for the price of services?

I'm not sure if they can edit their details there, Bigwebmaster will know that one.

Usually the main thing mods post is asking whether it is a paid position or not as some like to slip in there for volunteer work, which isnt the point of the section.

In any case you bring up some interesting points. If we find that too many people are posting incorrectly in reply then we will look at doing that.

:thumbsup:
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

The main reason I do it is so that I can update the original job post, and then for future visitors, all the information is in a single location. They don't have tp spend half an hour reading a thread for a potentially small job, or a job they may not ultimately be interested in.

Less posts on the thread means less clutter for each of those threads, which in turn means less clutter for the forum.

Like Rose says, you bring up some itneresting points, and the permissions could be changed to work that way, but I don't think it's necessary.

For some people, the adding-to-the-thread format works. For others (like myself) it doesn't. A job you bid on is nobody else's business except for you and the person paying, so there's no need for it to go in the forum. Also those doing the hiring don't always want people to know who they hired (it's work, it's business, it's nobody else's concern).

But, the original poster of the thread does need to be able to keep up with the topic and update it with important info (answers to questions that have been asked, whether the job is still even available, etc). Not all do. Many don't even reply to let you know the job has been filled until they get 50 emails in one day because that offer they posted on Ozzu finally turned up in search engines. ;)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts