Learning CSS

• gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Perhaps we should start a sticky for valuable resources for each technology. I've seen several of you post excellent links to great places for learning css, php, xml, etc.

I just found this site and am LOVING it. For those of us with a bit of experience in CSSing under our belt, this is an excellent tool for picking up creative ideas. For those of you who are new to CSS, this place will give you a jump-start and has excellent examples and explanations.

http://css.maxdesign.com.au

Does anyone else think it'd be good to have a sticky for each technology, language, whachamacalit that we use?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Moving this to the suggestions forum gsv2com. Stickies are somewhat wuestionable here because it tends to clutter things, but now and then they are beneficial

In some boards you'll already find what you have suggested. What needs to be understood though is that someone needs to be responsible to maintain a given stickey thread as you have suggested. Most of us just mod in our spare time. I'm here a bit more than some because I can be, but even I'd be hard pressed to maintain a CSS (or whatever) sticky thread, because I usually respond on-the-fly.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

don't think you moved it yet atno lol

Maybe not a sticky for every technology.

We have a php one, and photography etc. Probably it would be best to have a combined html/css one at the top of the design forum. You could have a javascript one, but it seems that most of the programming questions are about PHP anyway.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm pretty sure rtm and I could do a pretty good job at maintaining it. *hint*. :)

I live on the internet. My full-time job keeps me online all day long. If you guys ever need help maintaining something like this, let me know, but there's not much to maintain in my opinion aside from making sure people actually stayed on topic and posted only resources, not conversation.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't have a job that involves me on the net, but I do have a (rather dull) job tht has broadband..... :twisted:

Sounds good to me gsv2com.

Problem is - we aren't mods, so the amount of maintenance we can do is minimal, and I don't really think I am suitable for that roll.....
  • Uzzo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Uzzo
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great page gsv2com

Keep em coming!!!!

Why dont u have your recommended links in your signature?

I agree there should be a section just giving links for different technologies. Would be a great resource and a great addition to an already great site.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uzzo wrote:

Cos there's probably too many lol

gsv2com wrote:
this is an excellent tool for picking up creative ideas

as for creative ideas - this is one of my more favorite css tests that I have done recently:

Text-wrapping in a diminishing-sine-wave-shaped block:
http://www.geocities.com/whataloadof_crap//wave.htm

It uses a bit of javascript but can be done without (I'm ust to lazy to bother!)
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found this one to be of immense value as well: Semantics, HTML, XHTML, and Structure - Articles - Brainstorms and Raves

Very, very well written! I think a lot of you will find value in this.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
Uzzo wrote:

Cos there's probably too many lol

Exactly! :) Actually, all of my recommended links ARE in my signature! 8) Just kidding. There's just too many to list, not to mention I get most of my information from books, so I'd have to add all of that as well. My signature would be six miles long! I'm pretty sure I'd be banned from Ozzu for that! :)
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Moving this to the suggestions forum gsv2com. Stickies are somewhat wuestionable here because it tends to clutter things, but now and then they are beneficial

I think in the case of CSS, this idea would be quite beneficial. But it's not up to me. It's up to God, er, bigwebmaster. :lol:
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess the biggest problem with this sort of sticky is checking the submissions, we don't want to have a big list of links if half of them are crap, or badly written or teach bad practice.

I just imagine people posting loads of links and there being no organisation to it, and even if they are split into categories, it will still take some managing.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i know that sticky'ing a list of resources would be good, because i know that in the flash and actionscript thread, a few people often ask or a good place to learn something/tutorials.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
I guess the biggest problem with this sort of sticky is checking the submissions, we don't want to have a big list of links if half of them are crap, or badly written or teach bad practice.

Come on! Half the crap people are downloading in the form of tutorials or discussing on OZZU even are crap! "Need a cheap hack? Use a table!" etc. This would be nothing but beneficial. Nothing is perfect, but I'm pretty sure this idea would be an improvement to what is currently available on Ozzu (nothing, unless you do a forum search).

Yeah, it might be a pain to maintain, but what isn't. You seem to be as much of a CSS missionary as I am. I'm pretty sure a few of us would be able to keep track of this.

And if it required giving us Moderator status, so be it. I'm not looking for it, but I'll accept the responsibilities if the other moderators are too tied down to maintain something as useful as this.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

And if they do teach bad practice, by chance, that should be up for discussion. That sort of discussion SHOULD be allowed in the sticky. Nothing else.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

gsv2com wrote:
Yeah, it might be a pain to maintain, but what isn't. You seem to be as much of a CSS missionary as I am. I'm pretty sure a few of us would be able to keep track of this.

Yes I came to the side of the light about a month (maybe less) ago :) I've been messing around with all sorts of stuff since then.

How about it gsv, you and me, preaching our righteous stylesheets to the uncouth heathen table worshippers! Holding forth the holy light of the cascade, from which the blessed internet gods do shine, glowing in their wonderous glory! Behold the true path to enlightenment!

(i think i should stop now and find something better to do.. I've just seen how many posts I have made today :shock: )
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
How about it gsv, you and me, preaching our righteous stylesheets to the uncouth heathen table worshippers! Holding forth the holy light of the cascade, from which the blessed internet gods do shine, glowing in their wonderous glory! Behold the true path to enlightenment!

Amen brother! :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts