Locking up a forum

• Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find this thread been locked up http://www.ozzu.com/general-discussion/communism-good-bad-idea-t38360-45.html apparently because the thread has been two years old and somebody posted just days ago.

that's very unfortunate since the topic is very good and we may get more opinions about the topic raised in the future. Mods, what are the policies of locking up a forum?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it's a good topic, start a fresh thread.

No sense in digging up things said 2 years ago, people change & so do their opinions.
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

the continuity of the discussion maybe lost if we start another thread. besides, it may not be a good idea to refer several threads to the same topic. its only suggestion, mod.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're worried about losing the continuity of a thread that hasn't been responded to in two years, are you serious ?

So should we also get rid of thread paging, so that every reply in the thread shows on the same page ?
We don't want to lose continuity of the conversation, you know, having to look on another page and all.
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

will that be the Ozzu's official policy in locking up a thread?

okay, i want to make a rebuttal to Origino or Roarmeows comments on the thread posted above (http://www.ozzu.com/general-discussion/communism-good-bad-idea-t38360-45.html). i cant do that since its locked. origino and roarmeow's comments were made just days ago--not two years ago. do you think it would be comprehensible if i will make a new thread? no joebert. it'll only make me a laughing stock.

continuity of the discussion here means someone will make a statement, then somebody will rebut the statement, then someone will rebut the statement's rebuttal.... ad infinitum--that's what i meant about "continuity".

i hope it wasn't locked up just because it tackles communism. i do still believe Ozzu forum adheres to the universal concept of the freedom of expression.

with all respect, Joebert, can i bring this up into Gen Discussion forum?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're missing the point Thayk, the conversation in that thread is from two years ago.
Yes, people replied to it, but the revitalization of the conversation is stemming from a quoted opinion that's 2 years old, it's no longer valid & the poster probably doesn't even remember writing it.

If you feel soo strongly about your opinion of what other people have to say, start a new thread focusing on new, current points for the topic, not two year old opinions.
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

okay joebert got it. thanx mate.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll admit to being the one that locked the thread (despite Grinch being the last poster) mainly for all the reason Joebert has suggested above.

This is always going to be an issue with locking older threads. The way i see this is, when someone brings up a thread that is 2/3 years old they are bringing up an issue that either may not exist any more or has since been solved and therefore the topic is brought further up the list.

If a member brings up 4 or 5 topics from a few years ago trying to solve an issue that has long been forgotton about then the more recent newer topics then get pushed further down the forum page. Not everyone looks at all the most recent replies, some may look at older topics. If the topic starter brought the issue up again in the same topic then i wouldn't have that big a problem. But most of the time, like the Communism thread, these are brought up by people who have probably found the topic during a web search and not realised the date of the topic.

I have no issues with discussing communism, so the thread was not locked as a result of that.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just my little add-on to this post. What does it matter if the post was 2 years ago? I agree with Thayk and I'd say the opinions are updated by the post. Thread is just a more general term than a post. I don't see anything wrong or hurtful in keeping a 2 year old post alive don't you?

I didn't find anything against 2 year old posts being revived in rules or regulations. I would have posted my own comment if it wasn't locked. What's wrong with that topic being 2 year olds.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I unlocked it. Have at it.

*welcomes meman back to OZZU* *grins
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

See ? People change. :lol:
A year or so ago ATNO would have locked that thread for the same reason Grinch did. ;)
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB locked it, not me
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

*smacks forehead*

Post Information